Ram air / assisting airflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram air / assisting airflow

So I am sitting here in Iraq bored, looking at a picture of the Camaro I own. It's a 96 with the fun hood with the stylish port resembling Ram Air ducts.

The question I have is, could you drill through it allowing air to pass through, run fabricated material over to where the cold air intakes sit. and force some air for collection....

1) would it even be worth it (prob not)

2) what are some of the reasons it might or might not work.

/discuss

-Vic

Re: Ram air / assisting airflow

Air flowing through, yes. Ram air function, no.

Comment

Iirc there is a write-up about this in the Mods Encyclopedia. They get similar gains *Ram-Air and Cold Air Intake*, so go with what one you prefer.

Comment

The idea of ram air is kind of misleading. The hoods look good sure, but if you honestly want some gains from "ram air" you'll need some kind of real forced induction, like a turbo or supercharger.

Ram air hoods might net you the same gains as a cold air intake. You basically want to get air from the coolest area in your engine bay and a ram air hood of some particular designs are a pretty direct route to the air filter.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Well, I guess the question I was kinda getting to is this. I don't have a "Ram Air" hood. It's the stock one used from 94-97. I was just looking at the picture thinking to myself if I should make one of those plastic fake Ram Air looking pieces into a real air feeding tube. I'm going to be using a aftermarket intake on the car when I go home on leave in OCT. I was just thinking to myself it would benefit the situation at all to fabricate a piece to be a feeding tube. I'd imagine it can't be a bad idea..I just didn't know if I could justify it to being a good one.

Thanx.

-Vic

Comment

Piping in cold air can never hurt,just don't let the engine ingest water accidently;)

Comment

Have there been any cases of hydro locking using a CAI or RAI? If you look at the design on a SS hood, it looks like it doesn't allow much of either water nor air in much.

Comment

Bah, hoods are for looks unless it's some big scoop for a track car. So unless it looks hot, don't do it. That's just my opinion though.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                  Bah, hoods are for looks unless it's some big scoop for a track car. So unless it looks hot, don't do it. That's just my opinion though.
                  And they are quite a looker. I love my SS hood. Was never pulled over until I had one on.:rock:

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                    And they are quite a looker. I love my SS hood. Was never pulled over until I had one on.:rock:
                    A new hood is definitely something I want. I get pulled over all the time for no reason as it is.. I've been pulled over like 8 or 9 times and only received a ticket once. I swear they just want to check out the car. Oh I did accidentally run a red light once right in front of a cop at like 2AM. Wasn't paying attention and treated it like a stop sign since until recently that light actually flashes that late. I pulled over before he even turned around and he let me go.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but here is a pic of my ram air set-up. I bought the full hood/kit from suncoastcreations.com but I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. On the back side of the air-filter/box is a piece of 3.5"-4" tubing, the black stuff they sell at Home Depot. I have adjustable o-rings that hook it up to the engine and the box. Not a lot to the install, maybe took an hour or so.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Any different in power outlver a fipk or cold air
                        ???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          4 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X