I have a chance to buy a stock lid cheap... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a chance to buy a stock lid cheap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a chance to buy a stock lid cheap...

I need some insight/help. I know someone who is selling a stock ls1 lid for $5!! Besides having to fab up some kind of tubing to my throttle (I have a 3.4) will this bolt right up? I'm still a bit confused on all the parts of a lid (I know that sounds stupid) as I've only seen my friends stock one on a 3.8 but yet the ones I see on the internet look like some take air from underneath the car and infront...

Anyways will this work and what are all the parts I need to make this work? Thanks

Re: I have a chance to buy a stock lid cheap...

if it is just the lid alone it will not work. you would need the whole assembly that goes over the radiator that the lid clamps to. If you have a 3.4 the lid set up will probably not work because there is not enough clearance under the hood. but the air is deflected up by that plastic air dam under the car up into the filter. On a 98 & up it is more clear to look at it and see how it works. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by screamin 99 View Post
      if it is just the lid alone it will not work. you would need the whole assembly that goes over the radiator that the lid clamps to. If you have a 3.4 the lid set up will probably not work because there is not enough clearance under the hood. but the air is deflected up by that plastic air dam under the car up into the filter. On a 98 & up it is more clear to look at it and see how it works. Hope this helps
      I probably should have mentioned my Firebird was converted to the 98-02 style T/A and has a Ram Air hood...

Like I said, the only lid I've seen in person was my friends 02' Firebird with a 3.8 v6, but it looked like the air could only enter from the front of the lid (where as I saw a picture where INSIDE the lid the guy was drawing air from underneath too.....maybe it was modified?).

So will I have to get rid of my piece that goes over my radiator to bolt this down if I get the whole radiator piece and lid?

Comment

as long as you have the front clip setup of a 98+ bird then yes you can use the lid style intake. Just need the lower airbox and such too
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
          I probably should have mentioned my Firebird was converted to the 98-02 style T/A and has a Ram Air hood...

Like I said, the only lid I've seen in person was my friends 02' Firebird with a 3.8 v6, but it looked like the air could only enter from the front of the lid (where as I saw a picture where INSIDE the lid the guy was drawing air from underneath too.....maybe it was modified?).

So will I have to get rid of my piece that goes over my radiator to bolt this down if I get the whole radiator piece and lid?
          Hey that would have helped a lot LOL. If your hood has the back side cut out so the air can travel through the nostrils then yes the air does go through the front bottom part of the lid. Also look up the free ram air mod for the 98 and up that may help you out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by screamin 99 View Post
            Hey that would have helped a lot LOL. If your hood has the back side cut out so the air can travel through the nostrils then yes the air does go through the front bottom part of the lid. Also look up the free ram air mod for the 98 and up that may help you out as well.
            Yeah that is a big part sorry lol. Yeah I have the WS9 so the air will come through functionally.

Do you guys mind posting pictures of all the parts, I'm a visual person. I didn't know there was lower parts too lol. Also on a side note.....why does the lid look "off center" to the left in relation to the plastic part its bolted onto that goes above the radiator???

Thanks guys.

Comment

on ls1s its not offset to one side, its right down the middle.

you'll need the radiator shroud, lower lid tray and lid.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                on ls1s its not offset to one side, its right down the middle.

you'll need the radiator shroud, lower lid tray and lid.
                Thanks, I now see the parts I need. Now I wish the guy would just respond...

I was thinking of the 3.8's I guess, how come they are off center for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
                  I was thinking of the 3.8's I guess, how come they are off center for them?
                  Because the throttlebody and upper intake are off center.

Anyways, don't waste your time with just a stock V8 air lid, even if you have a 98+ TA conversion and ram air hood. The stock V8 lid doesn't flow any better than the stock V6 lid...what you should really be looking for is a raised air tray (lower air box) off a LS1 SS or WS6 AND the lid

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X