Anyone ever replace their own catalytic converter - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever replace their own catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever replace their own catalytic converter

Have a 97 3.8 and the cat is dead. Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced their own and what experiences they had with the replacement and afterwards.

Thanks

Re: Anyone ever replace their own catalytic converter

i have a 97, it went bad. took an air chisel to get it off because the pipes were slightly rusty and like heat bonded together or something. Just go to an exhaust shop.

Comment

Thanks Niko!
      Exhaust shop is charging $250 for parts/labor. Was just wondering if it would be easier to do it myself, b/c I know it will be cheaper.
      Anyone else have any experiences, good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDestruction View Post
        Thanks Niko!
        Exhaust shop is charging $250 for parts/labor. Was just wondering if it would be easier to do it myself, b/c I know it will be cheaper.
        Anyone else have any experiences, good or bad?
        whoa, thats expensive

you can buy a cat yourself and get it welded on at an exhaust shop

total cost would be about $80

are you trying to use an OEM style cat, or are you just going to get a universal type?

Comment

$250?!? Walk away! Before I owned a welder, I had a shop install an aftermarket high flow converter for $50 on my '96 3.8l
          sigpic

Comment

Yea man I posted in your other thread, $250 is alot for just a cat and labor!

Originally posted by CaptDestruction View Post
            Just finished replacing the coil packs, wires and plugs. Total of $142 and about 3.5 hours worth of work. SES is now off, but I have only run through 1 drive cycle. Going to drive it later tonight for a few miles to see if anything goes off.

I can still tell that the cat is out, because you can hear it rattle when under WOT. Time to save up for that crap...got a quote for $250 installed.

Thanks again all.
            $250 bucks for a new cat and welded in? are you going to the dealer or something?

try here if your trying to save some money:
            http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust_Cataly...10251/10002/-1

its a hi-flow so it should help you out in performance and being smog legal.
            and getting it cut/measured/welded in should be like 20-25 bucks tops at a regular muffler shop I suppose.

also a hi flow may throw a code so keep that in mind.

come to think of it i have my old stock cat laying around, you can have for free just pay shipping. i doubt you would lol but just throwing it out there.

gl with your car!
            Last edited by truekoa; 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM.
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Thanks all...just called a local custom exhaust shop and they will charge $55 to weld in a new cat...so I just need to buy one.

Comment

i have a high flow magnaflow 2.5" for sale pm me if you want it

Comment

I'm looking to replace mine pretty soon, along with a Magnaflow catback. My question is what I would use to connect the cat conv to the s-pipe, since the s-pipe has a flared end.

Comment

i did it, but it was pretty hard. its harder when your laying on your back to..
                    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

250 is nuts btw
                      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Your y-pipe is 3", and your s-pipe is 2.25" (flanged).

You need a standard 3" in/out catalytic converter which will slip OVER your y-pipe. Then, the exhaust shop will be able to fabricate a 3" to 2.25" reducer with a flanged end. Thats what I did and it worked perfectly.

I recently changed to a 3" straight piece replacing the cat, 3" s-pipe, and 3" to 2.5" reducer to go into my magnaflow 2.5" catback
                        1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

I plan on getting a reducer for the y-pipe to cat, since I already have a new 2.5" cat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X