Super Duper Poor Boy Intake Mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Duper Poor Boy Intake Mod...

Hey all, found this old thread for 98+ intake mod. I didn't want to jack Fondle's thread as he has a damn sweet mod going on...props to Fondle! :banana:

Anyway, if you're short on cash, this may be the ticket. Anyone do something similar?

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=69635

Re: Super Duper Poor Boy Intake Mod...

i have seen people do that, but that doesnt help people with the angled t/b, not trying to be rude, it seems like a good idea, it takes out the air silencer or baffle or whatever its called lol

Comment

Yes, I want to eliminate that baffle and do the fin removal too. I'm hoping that it gives the exhaust note a bit more growl. I just priced Lowes on this mod and it is all of $15 so I'll give it a try this weekend and let you all know what I find out.

Comment

i did it. works good, gives it a good sound too.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

x2 i did mine before i got a whisper lid and it worked out great.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Ok, I did this mod and am happy with the results. The baffle hiss I had at high rpms is now gone and the car sounds much better at high rpms. Not a noticeable difference at idle though. Be careful though, in my haste I accidentally tore a hole in my lid removing the very 1st fin with my pliers! Stickered it and now I'm good... Oh, it cost less than $10 in materials and an hour install. I painted the pvc pipe last night so it all looks good.

7/12/09 UPDATE:
            Drove 170 miles today (90% highway @ 68mph) and used just under half a tank, is this normal range, I have never checked? Also, the baffle elimination is key to letting this v6 breathe, the new exhaust note under heavy load is fricken' awesome (K&N air filter, factory cat and exhaust, Borla single in/out muffler with an Ansa resonated tip). Before, I had a nasty hiss at high rpms which forced an exhaust inspection that came back free of leaks. I suspected the baffle was the culprit, saw this link, did it myself and am way happy with the results. Best bang for the buck mod! Why didn't GM run with this obviously more efficient design? So in conclusion, until Fondle starts mass producing his "must have" lids for us all, this is the next best thing and super duper cheap and easy to do.
            Last edited by nitetime_pr; 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM. Reason: update

Comment

looks like someone could use some....trans-X! fills holes great lol.
              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
              gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

a better fix, you could tape the bottom of it, and fill in the top of the whole with jb weld or fiberglass and then sand it back down to smooth, then take the tape off the bottom

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into both options.

Comment

Home Depot Lid.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/605303/5
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

did it and it was worth it. power increase, and sounds better, toned down the rasp too.

3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

Yea sixshooter, mine looks just like yours except it's all black. What a great and cheap mod this is...

Comment

I'll be working on the angled TB version once I get my engine back in... wish me luck...lol
                          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

i have heard that shaving the lids off doesnt give as much hp gain as getting a complete intake kit what do you guys think/

Comment

I don't have actual data to say I did get an increase in hp but this mod cost me all of $15 for materials, 45 minutes to install and DID change the tone of my exhaust for the better...it's cheap and easy to do so why spend a hundred or more on aftermarket?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X