98 intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 intake

Finally got an intake...it obviously was made for the 95-97 3.8 but I managed to make it fit for my 98. I know a aftermarket lid and all will probably give more gains in hp but I really like this one and it wasn't too expensive..60 bucks. It has a nice deep and more aggressive sound and maybe a little better performance over stock setup, but I mainly wanted it for the sound.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Last edited by frydbrain; 07-08-2009, 07:58 PM.

Re: 98 intake

Looks good similar setup to the SLP and you can barely get a K&N for $60 let alone a lid and ram air setup. Good investment....

Comment

not too shabby.

since you have that setup, you should collaborate with fondle on a custom lid for the angled tb---i think he's looking for a 98 lid to try and make it work.
      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I'm interested in any more info on the setup. part #, website, etc.

Comment

Here is the link to the ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...Q5fAccessories

I know it was designed for the 97 but it will fit with a little modification. All I did was cut part of the plastic mount off the bottom of the fuse box where the headlight control unit is, and that provided access to the hole underneath. I also had to get a piece of exhaust tubing from Autozone because the metal tube (that came with the kit) going down into the fender was too short. I'm pretty sure the size of the pipe was 2 1/4", and I just made it a little shorter. As for the little sensor that goes into the pipe, I had to make the wire longer because I turned the pipe around and the hole was farther out from the throttle body. I'm pretty sure that's it for the setup, it wasn't too hard and I spent less than $60 total. Let me know if this helps or if you need more info or pics

Comment

this was the same set up i had before I got a whisper lid and slp intake.

I really didnt like the fact that the cone was there by the driver wheel; whenever it rains I get scared lol. but the sound on it is awesome.
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

post a video of the sound ! ireally am intrested in it and also the sound that everyone is talking about? cause people have been saying for a while now tht the sound on those are nice but my thing is does it make it sound ricer at all?

Comment

Honestly..... That might help intake temps. I dunno if it's just my turbo setup but, lately since I don't use an intake lid I've really noticed that the rad support gets really warm when there isn't air being sucked in over it via an airlid. If I'm not way off I'd say that's probably a better setup than a whisper airlid.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

OK so do you think the CAI or an ss hood with stock lid without fins, K&N filter and flex tubing to the TB would be better? I'm thinking ram air from the hood would be better. Right now I have a short ram, but it's dang hot under the hood so I'm sure its pulling in hot air

Comment

Whatever will allow the lowest temperature with the least amount of restriction. An engine can only pull in so much air till modding the intake further is redundant. Then you'd have to go FI after porting the heads and intake to see anymore gains.

But i'd go with the ram air hood and some type of smooth bellows on the stock lid IF the hood is functional. Who in their right minds wouldn't take a ram air hood anyways? They look so nice.

You should take some spectre intake stuff and pipe it up away from the rad to a functional ram hood. Coming up with something like that is definitely something I'd like to see.

I went overboard with the response. Yeah it's getting late.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

they must have changed the intake design, mine came form the same seller and it doesn't look like that.

Comment

Originally posted by fbodyrs96 View Post
                        they must have changed the intake design, mine came form the same seller and it doesn't look like that.

what did yours look like?

Comment

^^I think that's a pic of his. It's different than the pic posted earlier in the thread.

Comment

yes, that's mine in the pic

Comment

Yea, yours (Fbodyrs96) was the kit with the K&N for 80 right? he got his for 45 it seems. They sent yours with the filter included. He was using his on a 98....it's a different setup 98-02. Looks like yours is a 95-97 judging by your user name it's a 96. He completely re routed his intake. Looks like that rubber coupling was a fight to get on the TB for him.

Fbodyrs96- how do you like that intake you have on yours? Looks real clean btw nice job installing it. I was considering that one over the K&N, SLP seeing I don't plan on really doing much more for the engine than intake, headers, deleted the cat and have a half @$$ exhaust on now. Let me know if it seemed it helped out at all, and/or sounds different thanks.

My thoughts on taking a 98-02 box and removing it from the scene seems a bit much. I'd imagine your airflow is better than the ones 95-97 have to use. Shaving down the fins and adding the SLP intake would provide just as much gain//air as the custom fit. Was the concern heat issues? I could imagine that possibly, but then again I never imagined that being a problem as modifying my car is a personal fun thing for me not so much competition at a track. So I could understand the concern.

Anyways, good stuff, fbodyrs96 get back to me if you can via pm or whatnot. my email is victor.ruikis@us.army.mil if you wanna send info/review that way. I'm sitting out in Iraq right now and wouldn't mind reading your thoughts.

-Vic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X