putting straight pipe in place of the cat - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

putting straight pipe in place of the cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting straight pipe in place of the cat

im trying to find my rattling problem, and i would like to put a straight pipe in place of my cat.. just to see if that is actually my problem before i go and spend a ton of money on a new cat

how long does the pipe need to be to do this?

IIRC advance sells 12" pipes, and i will also need an adapter that will make it 14" at the most

Re: putting straight pipe in place of the cat

IIRC your cat is welded into your Y-pipe. Which means it'd be best to cut and weld in a new one. I got a couple of 2 1/2" pipes from autozone recently to replace some of my turbo pipings.. They were at least 2ft.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Its going to sound like CRAP. i did that to mine and the rasp was deafening by 3k rpms. spend 80 bucks and get a cat

Comment

****, replace it with a dynomax muffler. I did :tup:

TEAM C6V6

Comment

im not going to replace the cat if its not my problem

im sorry i dont have $80 to throw around and be ok with it if its not going to fix my problem, i really dont care if it sounds like crap as it only takes a day for a new cat to some from jegs/summit racing

and yes, the cat is welded to the y-pipe.. it is 3" in and 2 1/4" out

Comment

Have you taken a look under there already? When I straight piped my cat (doesn't sound that bad, but I do have a pretty quiet borla muffler) I did it because I had a rattle in the exhaust that I thought was the cat. In the process of putting the pipe in, I found that the rattle was a heat shield right after the cat.

I believe I used an 18" 2.5pipe with a 3" to 2.5" reducer and exhaust clamps at the time, which have since been replaced by welds. I know I cut the pipe shorter, but I don't remember just how much.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
              Have you taken a look under there already? When I straight piped my cat (doesn't sound that bad, but I do have a pretty quiet borla muffler) I did it because I had a rattle in the exhaust that I thought was the cat. In the process of putting the pipe in, I found that the rattle was a heat shield right after the cat.

I believe I used an 18" 2.5pipe with a 3" to 2.5" reducer and exhaust clamps at the time, which have since been replaced by welds. I know I cut the pipe shorter, but I don't remember just how much.
              i dont recall seeing a heatshield after the cat

i know there is one above the cat

Comment

so nobody knows how long the pipe needs to be?

Comment

i did it on mines and its not that bad i actually like exept for the wot hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    so nobody knows how long the pipe needs to be?
                    Since it's welded on I don't imagine there's really a set length. Get under there and measure it. I'm sure you can handle that much.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      Since it's welded on I don't imagine there's really a set length. Get under there and measure it. I'm sure you can handle that much.
                      oh well, i was hoping someone had done it before and knew what size offhand, its kind of a pain in the *** to jack the car up just to take a 5 second measurement if you know what i mean

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        oh well, i was hoping someone had done it before and knew what size offhand, its kind of a pain in the *** to jack the car up just to take a 5 second measurement if you know what i mean
                        I don't know why you'd need to jack the car up. Get on your belly/back. I measured all the space around where the cat was just in my driveway when I was looking for a muffler to fit there.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

^ya u just need a tape measure... no need to jack the car up. but probably around 15-18"?

Comment

I had a exhaust shop do mine, was going to put the 3" pipe through the cat and tack it on but the owner who was doing it for me screwed it up, and said he would just put the pipe in there, said if I ever needed it to look like a cat was there come back with a cat and he would make it look like it was real.LOL
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              I had a exhaust shop do mine, was going to put the 3" pipe through the cat and tack it on but the owner who was doing it for me screwed it up, and said he would just put the pipe in there, said if I ever needed it to look like a cat was there come back with a cat and he would make it look like it was real.LOL
                              yeah its very common to gut a cat, a ton of people around here do that

i think im just going to buy a used y pipe/cat and be done with it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X