Short-Tube, Mid-Tube and Long-Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-Tube, Mid-Tube and Long-Tube

What are the differences? I understand there is length differences, but why do I read posts saying to stick with longtubes only, what is the reason? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't shorter headers for turbo setups? and longtubes are for naturally aspirated setups? If I used a shorter header on a naturally aspirated engine what would be the harm over stock?

Re: Short-Tube, Mid-Tube and Long-Tube

Long tubes generally flow better than mid tubes. Alot of turbo guys have forward facing headers so they can mount the head unit in the engine bay. You can mount a turbo further down stream using long tubes, but it may take longer for the turbo to spool up. You wont hurt anything using mid tube headers on a na setup; you simply might not generate as much horsepower as compared to the long tubes. The price tag on the long tubes usually make up peoples minds for them. This should probably be in the exhaust section.

Comment

yeah I thought about that after I posted it...please move this to the exhaust section...

so question, before I post my next question...are the undercarriages for an LS1 and the V6 the same? As far as space and ****...

Comment

i would use short/mid tubes on a v6 camaro

and what do you mean by undercarriages?

Comment

undercarriage - a supporting framework or underside (as of an automobile)

I want to know if this true dual exhaust will work on the V6.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=196

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
            undercarriage - a supporting framework or underside (as of an automobile)

I want to know if this true dual exhaust will work on the V6.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=196
            the only differences underneath the whole car is the k member, and the exhaust hangers

you can get that to work, but i dont know how much fab work it will take

and a lot of people here dont recommend going with a true dual setup on the v6 cars, you are gonna have no low end torque

Comment

please explain why...backpressure?

Comment

pretty much, it is a bit overkill for a v6 unless its not in any way shape or form stock

to be honest i dont really understand everything dealing with exhaust backpressure and everything

i can tell you however i was reading a magazine and a drag strip started requiring people to run mufflers on their cars on sundays and they actually ran a bit quicker et's, i cant confirm it was true or not though

Comment

to put it simply: amount of displacement.

v6 < v8

save the true duals for a built engine or turbo, you wont be able to push enough exhaust through the pipes.
                  pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                  gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Well my main reason for wanting these is to reduce the V6 whine, figured true dual may get rid of the raspiness a lil', also figured why the hell not...

so no on the true dual setup?

Comment

dont get me wrong, true duals done right with the supporting power can be pretty outstanding, and i've heard some guys with them that sounded great....but they had wooooork done on these cars.

duals take a good deal of fabbing, frustration with fitment, and a strong engine to take advantage of the added volume of the piping. most likely, with a stockish/bolt-on only 3.8 you're gonna be disappointed with all that work into it and not much performance.

if you're looking to reduce rasp/whine, i'd suggest headers (if you dont have them), a high flow cat, and a full 2.5-3" exhaust with a good muffler and tips. i got rid of a lot of rasp when i went to headers and borla exhaust.
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Well my main reason for wanting these is to reduce the V6 whine, figured true dual may get rid of the raspiness a lil', also figured why the hell not...

so no on the true dual setup?
                        true duals will make the rasp worse from what i hear

Comment

What are the differences?
                          different length headers have different shaped torque curves
                          Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't shorter headers for turbo setups?
                          Not exclusively
                          and longtubes are for naturally aspirated setups?
                          Again, not exclusively

If I used a shorter header on a naturally aspirated engine what would be the harm over stock?
                          there would be no harm. Any header type will yield improvements over stock

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                          the only differences underneath the whole car is the k member, and the exhaust hangers
                          Transmission and oil pan are different

and a lot of people here dont recommend going with a true dual setup on the v6 cars, you are gonna have no low end torque
                          misconception, but wouldn't be the first on this site

so long as you have some form of a catback, and aren't running open headers, you'll make about the same amount of power, 2.5" v 3", dual outlet v. true duals. The only thing that really changes is the torque curve

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post

misconception, but wouldn't be the first on this site
                            not true at all

lowering the back pressure of the car WILL cause less low end torque and higher peak ftlb

if you dont believe me look at dyno sheets before and after a dual exhaust setup

Comment

which would be better a 2.5" setup or 3" setup...I am going completely N/A...I heard 3" is overkill while other say 2.5" is restrictive. I do want a cam eventually if that helps...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X