help with new full exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with new full exhaust

Finally got the new pacesetters, high flow cat, and full 3" borla exhaust up and running, but surprisingly it's much quieter than my old setup with stock manifolds, a high flow, and flowmaster catback. The flowmaster setup always sounded great at idle and low rpm's but then just got loud and ridiculous when wound up. Now it's much deeper and smoother with very little rasp, which I like, but when the car is idling or cruising you can barely hear it until you get into it---then she sounds pretty beast.

I've done a ton of searching and don't want to go the e-cutout way...that's just asking for it to be obnoxiously loud and rasp again, so does anyone have a suggestion on how to get some of my low end growl back? I was thinking possibly throwing a xr-1 bullet into the intermediate pipe---what affects would that have on power/sound?

Otherwise, the setup is sweet, very little rasp, sounds wicked with the new carbon fiber whisper lid and ram air kit, and has great top end pick up (3" moved up the torque curve of course), but I just need more low end rumble.

any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Re: help with new full exhaust

X the converter. I have the same set up and used 3" header flanges on the converter to make it removable. 10 minutes and I can have a piece of straight pipe in place of it. Still not loud, but louder.
    sigpic

Comment

I gave that some thought, but unfortunately I live in Virginia where you have to have a cat, and the guys that helped me weld everything up also do my inspections so they know what I'm up to haha. Any thoughts on possibly gutting the cat? If I could I'd just throw an xr-1 in place of the cat, but not in this state...
      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

I found it works better to run a piece of straight pipe through the cat when you do that. You don't need any extra muffler with the Borla system, it's still quite.
        sigpic

Comment

noted. any clips of yours good sir?

sigpic

Comment

No, never bothered with them. Sounds just like with the converter just a bit more loud.
            sigpic

Comment

dude u think u could get a clip up of ur borla cause i m literally waiting on a 3" borla at the moment. i just dont know excatly what it sounds like grant it its a borla they always sound dec. and also u say ur low end needs help, like u dont have any or its just not even close to the stock exhaust low end. oh and if u want sum low end or just sum power in general zzp has a bored out throttle body for our cars its rather cheap and would just gve u power every were. but dynoed its like 8hp through entire rpm range planning on getting one on friday

Comment

My 60' times got better with the Pacesetters and 3" Borla exhaust over the stock stuff. Just that knocked about .3 off the quarter mile. Then some tuning with HPT knocked off another .4. The car was way rich with the headers and exhaust.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
                  dude u think u could get a clip up of ur borla cause i m literally waiting on a 3" borla at the moment. i just dont know excatly what it sounds like grant it its a borla they always sound dec. and also u say ur low end needs help, like u dont have any or its just not even close to the stock exhaust low end. oh and if u want sum low end or just sum power in general zzp has a bored out throttle body for our cars its rather cheap and would just gve u power every were. but dynoed its like 8hp through entire rpm range planning on getting one on friday

I'll see if I can work on a clip later this afternoon, it's been raining off and on all day here. Now don't get me wrong with my complaint earlier...the car sounds amazing---much deeper and smoother than flowmaster with almost no rasp. By low end I mean actually volume of the sound, not power---she's far from stock. And there's definitely an increase in power (I have a good deal of supporting mods/suspension already) so it's not lacking there, I was basically just used to my car being loud at idle for years and it's a change from that. Read up again about my before and after---I haven't had a stock exhaust on this thing since the week I bought it haha. She does have a great roar at WOT and great top end gains, but at idle I'm used to a loud rumble and now it's just not as loud (but sounds better).

A bored out tb isn't gonna do much unless you've maxed out your stock tb and MAF sensors and need the extra bore---our tb's stock are huge and basically unless I was running forced induction, that's not gonna help the cause much. I plan on taking mine all the way up to stage 3 heads and a gt2 cam and I still would be fine with my stock tb---I'd maybe consider a p&p for extra flow, but not a larger bore entirely.
                  Last edited by BallerMaro13; 04-30-2009, 09:33 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Bigbrian- I would agree mine seems to be running rich by comparison too, I plan on taking it to get dyno tuned shortly and then looking at a 3.73 posi rear.

sigpic

Comment

well u answerd my question but if i did get the tb would it give potetial power gains or they just full of ****

Comment

another thing is the hyper tuner, does that control enough to really make it worth it like could i still use it when i cam/stroke my car? without having to take the car to someone to tune it

Comment

depends on your mods to support a larger tb...and i'd be willing to bet you're not throwing down serious power yet....so i wouldn't be fooled by the numbers. a guy running 10psi or nitrous might see 8hp but a nearly stock ride wont get jack...but feel free to give it a go and let me know if you see any results.
                          Last edited by BallerMaro13; 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
                            another thing is the hyper tuner, does that control enough to really make it worth it like could i still use it when i cam/stroke my car? without having to take the car to someone to tune it
                            i'll make this one simple: hptuners or nothing.

i'm taking mine to be dyno tuned very soon---a hypertech programmer is the equivalent of a gameboy compared to hpt.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                              i'll make this one simple: hptuners or nothing.

i'm taking mine to be dyno tuned very soon---a hypertech programmer is the equivalent of a gameboy compared to hpt.
                              x2 on that. I had a hypertech at one point. Someone took advantage of the ignorant with that one. The only AFR tuning it comes remotely close it is an option between 87 89 and 93 octane. Piece of junk.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X