Sheared off exhaust manifold bolts...help - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheared off exhaust manifold bolts...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheared off exhaust manifold bolts...help

So my 94 Firebird 3.4 v6 with 266,600 original miles finally started making an exhaust leak noise around the manifold area on the driver side. I could feel the air and heat when I stuck my hand around the area. I knew the exhaust manifold gasket was probably shot.

As I started taking the manifold off for the first time ever on this car I noticed the two front exhaust manifold bolts top and bottom were not there. Once I removed the middle two and rear two bolts the manifold was free. I noticed there was NO gasket material on either the manifold, block, or heat sheild. I guess it just dissinagrated over time.

Some how the front top and bottom bolts were sheared off flush into the block. How does this happen? I have never tried to take the manifold off before and I am the original owner of the car, nor have I ever had any service work done to the exhaust by someone else in that area. I do almost all my own work.

How can I get these 2 sheard off bolts out of my block with out taking the engine out? The angle on the bolts are facing down, the wheel hub and steering shaft are in my way, and I know my small drill won't even fit down in there, especially with a bit on it. I'm thinking a 90 degree drill would still be a real ***** to work with.

Is it possible to just put the new gasket on with some kind of high heat RTV sealant and just use the 4 bolts that are still good and hope it seals well enough?

Re: Sheared off exhaust manifold bolts...help

Only way to get them out is to drill the centers and use an Easy-Out Extractor. A small 90* drill would be your best bet, and make sure you put a few drops of oil on the tip so you don't burn it when drilling through the center of the broken bolts. Also, once you have a hole drilled in them, use some PB Blaster on the bolts and let them soak for about 1 hour before extractinging them.

Maybe you can remove a motor mount and jack up one side of the engine a little bit to see if you can get to the bolts a bit easier...? I seriously would not recommend only using 4 bolts to hold the mani's on. Those bolts will have a greater "load" on them and have a better chance of breaking also.
    sigpic

Comment

I looked at the sheared bolts again today, I really don't think a 90* drill will even fit into the space. I'm searching around for a really small 90* drill that would hopefully work. If anyone see's one let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

Maybe something like these:
        http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=drill
        or a cheaper version:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-CLOSE-Q...3A1%7C294%3A50

If the drill bit is too long, just cut it to size and maybe re-sharpen it.
        sigpic

Comment

wow, i was just about to say the previous owner must have done something

all i can say is it probably rusted so badly that the bolts just rusted through and fell off

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post

all i can say is it probably rusted so badly that the bolts just rusted through and fell off
            I'm going to say the the previous owner did something to cause the bolts to shear off. I have a hard time believing that bolts just rust and fall off without tampering with them first.

Besides, what better way to get rid of your worries than to trade a car in after you screw something up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman View Post
              I'm going to say the the previous owner did something to cause the bolts to shear off. I have a hard time believing that bolts just rust and fall off without tampering with them first.

Besides, what better way to get rid of your worries than to trade a car in after you screw something up.
              thread starter is the original owner of the car

Comment

I am the original owner of the car, and the exhaust manifolds have never been tampered with. With 266,600 miles the only conclusion I can come to is they just rusted so bad and sheared right off, they are flush with the block.

**Good news is I told my boss about it today and he has a 90* drill he will let me borrow. I just hope he remembers it tomorrow. I started soaking the sheared bolts in penitrating oil today.

Originally posted by hockeyman View Post

I don't know, but with 266,600 miles I guess anything is possible.

thread starter is the original owner of the car
                Thank you.

Comment

Of course my boss forgot the 90* drill today, but he said I can swing by his house tomorrow and pick it up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X