Quiet down exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet down exhaust?

I have a Magnaflow dual cat back exhaust which is preventing me from getting my inspection sticker. Instead of getting rid of the exhaust is there a way to quiet it down ? Can i get some exhaust tips to quiet down the thing.

If tips will work can anyoen recomend some? I have the 3 inch diameter long pipes. I'm partial to chrome if possible?

Thanks.

Re: Quiet down exhaust?

take it to a different inspection place

you wouldnt happen to live in NJ would you? they seem like the only place that cares if the car is too loud

but i guess you can cut the exhaust and stick a cherry bomb in there, it my quiet it down some

Comment

Hehe, i've tried 3 stations all in the same area. I live in MA capecod area, kind of upperclass snobbies!

I'd rather not cut the exhaust if possible?

Comment

Are you on or off Cape? The Cape dinks are strict with noise ordinance. A few suggestions, if you are on Cape, there are 2 shops in Hyannis right by the mall that do performance work. They may know where an inspection station is that is friendly to performance guys. One is Hyannis trans, the other is a guy's name I don't remember. He runs a speed shop around the corner form the Hyannis(Cape Cod) Mall down the street from NAPA. If you're off Cape, I don't know many places unless you're up near Salem.
        The other suggestion is what I do - I have a Harley with drag pipes on it. When it comes to inspection, I put the muffler pipes on and get it inspected, then I put the drags back on. It takes me about an hour and a half on/off/on. If you have access to torches, and the installer didn't weld your system together, it's not too hard to hum a quiet muff on and then put the performance system back on. You can get a pretty quiet 3" muff from Jeg's ( I think about $45) a get a 3" 90* bend pipe for a tailpipe and have that for your inspection exhaust. I know Mass used to do inspections twice a year, but I think they went to once a year. Also - you can do a quick change by welding a 3 bolt flange to the 2 muffs and 1 to the front pipe and make it a bolt on.
        This may be more than you want to do, just a few suggestions.
        The last cheap shot- stuff one tailpipe with steel wool - around the corner from the inspection joint. It might make it quiet enough to pass... :o And don't hammer it on the way to the station.
        If they gave you a fail sticker, you're screwed.

Comment

Wow that is some great advice! Thanks! Yeah i'm on capecod, in mashpee. 10 miles away from Hyannis. I know that town pretty well, so i'll have a look at those shops.

Yeah, i don't have access to any tools, and i've never welded in my life and would probably set myself on fire if i did! :) But maybe i should look into the bolt ons. I'm sinking some money into the car to restore it somewhat and drive it through the recession, so going with a permanent bolt on would be a good idea. I could probably get my uncle/mechanic to do that...

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X