• Show
Clear All

• Please critique my setup

2001 3.8L Firebird

This is my plan for mods:

Fast toys ram air CAI
    CIA Headers w/ 3" Y pipe
    Car Sound 3" in/out High Flow Cat
    *** my MAJOR debate is still over 2.5" OR 3" Magnaflow catback.

In your opinion which catback should I go with. From my understanding 2.5 will require mod. from 3" cat to 2.5" s pipe. OR 3" will require mod for hangers and possible low end power loss?

If you could PLEASE offer me any advice/experience that you have I would really really appeciate it!!! Thanks in advace!

Re: Please critique my setup

i would do
    free ram air mod
    no cat
    and the rest is fine
    just be ready to smell like fuel with no meow

Comment

whatever u do KEEP THE CAT, i took mine off and it had so much rasp. it was at every shift and ear splitting deafening

Comment

x2 keep the cat, rasp is pretty nasty in most cases without one. magnaflow isn't a bad setup for the money, but i find they're pretty raspy up top kinda like flowmaster (i have flow's now until my borla goes on next week so i'm not hating on anyone) so a high flow cat will help along with the cia's. 2.5" setup is pretty safe, and there's nothing wrong with 3" (that's what i'm going with), but it depends on your future goals for the car and what your plans are with any forced induction, h/c, and whatnot to take advantage of the larger piping.

as is, you wont "lose" any low end, it will just shift the torque curve up a little bit for more top end, but if you want to weigh your options do some searching on 2.5 vs. 3" and you'll see plenty of debates about it on here.

good luck man, keep us updated.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

i might be the odd ball, but if you're not really planning on any big engine mods, i'd do the 2.5" on the v6. i think that is plenty of air space and should sound pretty nice. i think the 3" is a little overkill and tends to be more of a whiny sound. just my opinion though. of course, it may depend a lot on what muffler you do, but i would definetely keep the cat! make it a high flow one and you're good to go.

Comment

wow, thanks for the input so far. it really helps. I have heard of some people adding an addition muffler to the mid pipe, namely the dynomax bullet resonator, which is said to make the sound lower and reduce rasp. Do any of you have experience with this and/or know it if this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by pathology knight View Post
              i might be the odd ball, but if you're not really planning on any big engine mods, i'd do the 2.5" on the v6. i think that is plenty of air space and should sound pretty nice. i think the 3" is a little overkill and tends to be more of a whiny sound. just my opinion though. of course, it may depend a lot on what muffler you do, but i would definetely keep the cat! make it a high flow one and you're good to go.
              im with you on the 2.5" pipe. there is a big dipute on there about that but i like my exhaust better with the 2.5 than the 3 and i have had both.

but i run with no cat. have been since 07.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Just go all 3" pipe,no CAT and a 3" Dynomax Turbo muffler with a 3" turn down will sound great.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Just go all 3" pipe,no CAT and a 3" Dynomax Turbo muffler with a 3" turn down will sound great.
                  XX2

Eh... My personal comparison I have is a bit unfair- 02 camaro stock headers, stock Y pipe, No cat, 2.5 flowmaster catback VS pacesetter headers, turbo, to a dynomax muffler in a 98 camaro. The 98 sounds better. It does rasp though I won't lie but, in idle, at a higher rpm than the 02's setup. I can't tell ya what it sounds like in drive with load on the engine cause my wastegate opens up before 3k rpm and screams.

I'm gonna tell ya, go with the 3" along with a dynomax turbo muffler.

BTW ssms, after I got some miles on this dynomax, all broken in nicely. It does sound very nice. Thank you for the recommendation. Sounded great as I whooped a 3rd gen transam today. Whoot!

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                    XX2

Eh... My personal comparison I have is a bit unfair- 02 camaro stock headers, stock Y pipe, No cat, 2.5 flowmaster catback VS pacesetter headers, turbo, to a dynomax muffler in a 98 camaro. The 98 sounds better. It does rasp though I won't lie but, in idle, at a higher rpm than the 02's setup. I can't tell ya what it sounds like in drive with load on the engine cause my wastegate opens up before 3k rpm and screams.

I'm gonna tell ya, go with the 3" along with a dynomax turbo muffler.

BTW ssms, after I got some miles on this dynomax, all broken in nicely. It does sound very nice. Thank you for the recommendation. Sounded great as I whooped a 3rd gen transam today. Whoot!
                    Nice to hear, I never new that your muffler was up by the Cat, but mine is in the rear and maybe because it is further back there is less rasp, I have a cam and RK sport headers so that might make a difference also in rasp.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

To clarify, I drive my car everday to work and some long weekend drives, absolutely no track use and no intent on adding any forced induction. I never exceed 90 mph, which is on the expressway. I believe 2.5" may be a better choice for my use, is that correct?

ALSO, if I am running a 3" cat, and use a 2.5" catback, how do I make the transition. Do i need to weld the cat into the y pipe and s pipe too?

Comment

I think if you're not really concerned with track use and just want a little more fun on the street, then the 2.5" exhaust might suite your needs. The 3" is best for all out performance, but if you just want a little more oomph without moving the powerband up the rpms, then 2.5" should be fine. Personally, I'm going with 3" exhaust, but I also have other plans in mind that'll need it. Otherwise, I would've gone with the 2.5".

To run a 3" cat with 2.5" catback, you'll need to have a reducer between the cat and I-pipe.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

If I ADDED a dynomax bullet into the midpipe, would that reduce the rasp without destroying the low tone and/or performance??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X