a few header comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few header comments and questions

i just ordered same pacesetter headers they are getting delivered tommorow and also my alluminum driveshaft.

i cant get any gaskets tommorow but im going to install them what do you recomend reusing the old ones or the paper ones or can i use both?

i was also REALLY surprized my car has a lil over 100k on it and the bolts came out like they were new not crazy stuck and rusted or anything and the same with the o2 sensors. my entire car is clean and looks near mint even the bottom but i figured exhaust would be hard to do but i pulled the mainfolds off today in about 1 and a half hours

Re: a few header comments and questions

i just used the paper pacesetter gaskets that came with the kit. They have worked out for me for about 10,000 miles. i also used the bolts that came with them as well and have had no problems.

Comment

^x's 2
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I Used the paper ones that came with them too.

How can you tell when they start going bad? I mean I know it leaks but what should I look out for?

Comment

You'll here a ticking sound, you can get metal felpro gaskets for $15 spray some copper spray on them 20-30 min. before putting them on and you won't have any leaks. That copper spray is the sh!t, same stuff you would use for MLS head gaskets.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i used and still have the pacesetter on my car. never had a problem with them *knock on wood*
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

alright i will probally just use the paper ones

Comment

about how much power do you all thing i will gain with the headers and alluminum driveshaft?

Thanks
                Last edited by tomham; 04-16-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomham View Post
                  about how much power do you all thing i will gain with the headers and alluminum driveshaft?

Thanks
                  maybe 7+hp with the headers. the real gain with headers is when you put a big power adder on your car. (turbo,sc, nitrous, cam whatever) with the driveshaft im not sure if you will notice because i dont have an aluminum one but you will for sure drop some pounds.

Comment

Is that ticking sound more obvious under acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
                      Is that ticking sound more obvious under acceleration?
                      Yes. Just like your exhaust would be more noticeable under load.
                      '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
                      '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
                      '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

Good to know, looks like I may need a replacement soon.

Comment

The ticking sound is OBVIOUS. I was curious about how I would know if I had a leak... until I had one.

It will also sound very "metally" if you have a big leak. It is hard to explain though. If you do get the tick, $5 says it is from where the EGR meets the headers. That lower tube assembly is not really meant to be reused, largely due to how it gets crimped when you seal it for the first time. It is a fairly easy fix though.
                          2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                          2006 S60- Sold
                          2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

^ like steve said pacesetters are notorious for the egr not sealing. the best thing i could recommend is to block it off from the start. zzperformance sells block off plates and they are really cheap. i went through a world of trouble trying to seal the egr (even buying a new gm base/hose assembly that the valve sits on for $80) and still didnt get it sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by screamin 99 View Post
                              ^ like steve said pacesetters are notorious for the egr not sealing. the best thing i could recommend is to block it off from the start. zzperformance sells block off plates and they are really cheap. i went through a world of trouble trying to seal the egr (even buying a new gm base/hose assembly that the valve sits on for $80) and still didnt get it sealed.
                              Lol. The lower hose assembly is like $30 from gmpartsdirect. You got RIPPED!
                              2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                              2006 S60- Sold
                              2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X