gonna replace my intake manifold gaskets - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gonna replace my intake manifold gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gonna replace my intake manifold gaskets

Well I'm gonna tear into it and change my upper and lower intake gaskets. Hopefully, that will fix my coolant problem. I was wondering if the felpro gasket set you get at autozone will be good or do I need to order them from gmpartsdirect? Also what other parts will I need to replace while im in there? It's a 2000 camaro 3.8 m5

1. air plenum gasket set
    2. lower intake gasket set
    3. injector o rings
    4. valve cover gaskets

does that sound right? do i need to replace any bolts on lower intake? any tips or advice would be appreciated. I will take a lot of pics while i do this. Maybe I can do a good write up after I get it done.
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Re: gonna replace my intake manifold gaskets

nows the time to change your lifters if they are no good....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Well I haven't had any problems with my lifters they are quiet. I got 100k on the motor. Should I change them anyway?
      2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

if your not having a problem than i wouldn't

thats a good kit. i used it after my nitrous backfire
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Since you'll be that far in, how about taking off the heads and getting them P&P'd?
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

felpro makes good gaskets, they will be fine.

i would also suggest to replace the lifters, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a lot longer

Comment

ok thanks for the replies! I'll use the felpro gaskets. Do I need to get those coolant elbows? I looked in the help section at autozone they didn't have anything like that. So can I reuse all bolts that i take out? I just want to make sure I have everything I need so this goes as smoothly as possible. This is gonna be a good learning experience for me! I need to get a good torque wrench. Any other specialty tools I need? What about locktite and rtv? Thanks!
              2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Autozone can order the elbows. If you wait til tomorrow, I'll grab the part numbers while i'm there. You should be able to reuse them with no problems though. I would reccomend changing out the lifters. They are fairly easy and will save you from having to do them in the future
                Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

ok, i'm not in any hurry. I still have another week and a half before i'm off work. Once I have the lower intake off, what do I do to replace the lifters? I don't want to pull the heads. Thanks!
                  2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

to replace the lifters you will have to remove the rockers, pull the pushrods out, remove the lifter retainers, then pull the lifters out.

Comment

Personally I wouldnt mess with the lifters at this time because I would have a cam swap planned for the future. Once you pull the lower intake bolts you can then determine if any need replacing. If you have access to a sand or bead blaster you can get all of the carbon build up out of the upper plenum. This would be a good time to port the UIM & LIM to match the gaskets. Put blue loctite on the LIM bolts, and follow the tightening sequence and torque specs.

Are you going to paint anything?

Comment

No I wasn't going to paint anything, just try to clean everything up as best as I can. I thought about using the seafoam in a spray can to clean upper plenum. I don't have access to a sand blaster. Thanks!
                        2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

seafoam works very well
                          Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                            ok thanks for the replies! I'll use the felpro gaskets. Do I need to get those coolant elbows? I looked in the help section at autozone they didn't have anything like that. So can I reuse all bolts that i take out? I just want to make sure I have everything I need so this goes as smoothly as possible. This is gonna be a good learning experience for me! I need to get a good torque wrench. Any other specialty tools I need? What about locktite and rtv? Thanks!
                            if you have an o'reillys close, i would go there and see if they have some of those elbows, cause your gonna break em.

if you do lifters (why would you, if it aint broke, dont fix it) you would need new rocker bolts.

dont pull the heads, pita. you will then have to buy $120 worth of head gaskets, new head bolts, and rocker bolts. you have to make sure that the heads are gasket free and the block is clean, and chase the bolt holes. and as you state the intake will be a learning experience so i would hold off on doing the heads. again, if it aint broke dont fix it.
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

with his mileage, it would be good to go ahead and take care of inspecting everythign else while he has it apart. That's just the way I always thought of things. better to be safe than sorry

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X