I've got a leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a leak

Alright, so I tried to access the undercar view in that exhaust sticky, so yes I did search, its just being stupid. But here is my question, I have a leak literally right in front, so thats going into it, of my brand new cat, like maybe half an inch away, so anyways here is my question, I recently got a set of pacesetter headers, for my 3.4l they came with headers, y-pipe, and another pipe, that i assume goes after the y-pipe. is this the pipe that is leaking on my car? and will it be fixed once I put the headers on?

Re: I've got a leak

First order of business, you must find the leak to determine if it will be eliminated with your new setup.

An easy way to do this is to put the car up on ramps, keep the engine running, then crawl underneath to isolate the sound. You don't need to touch anything, just find out where the noise is coming from.
    **If needed, have someone inside of the car lightly tapping on the throttle to rev the engine up, so that the leak will become more apparent.

Now, once you find the leak, look at your new setup and see if it comes with that particular replacement part.

Who is doing the installation? If it's you, then are you clamping or welding it?
    If you clamp it, you'll most likely have another leak after you are finished. If you are welding it, then you should be fine.
    sigpic

Comment

If the leak is right in front 0of the cat, then yes it will fix leak. Like said above if you just clamp the connections it might leak again. I welded my cat to the y pipe, but my y-pipe to the headers are clamped. Thats where they leak like a b****, but I dont mind

Comment

I found it, its right in front of my brand new cat, like its on part of if it that came with the cat when I bought it in september, its like cracked all the way through, you can see daylight but they should replace it for free, a mechanic friend of mine is doing the install for free(painted his deck over the summer) I think he'll probably clamp it, is it really that bad to clamp it?

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
          is it really that bad to clamp it?
          No, alot of people use clamps. But if you want an absolute seal without worrying about leaks, then have it welded.
          sigpic

Comment

Alright, I put it up on ramps and figured it out once and for all, the very end of the origional y-pipe sheered off inside the cat, so I've got a new y-pipe for my headers, no big, my mechanic should be able to get that piece of the old y-pipe out of the cat right? Also, my check engine light came on, I assume this would have to do with my lack of exhaust system?

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
              my mechanic should be able to get that piece of the old y-pipe out of the cat right? Also, my check engine light came on, I assume this would have to do with my lack of exhaust system?
              Your mechanic should be able to get that piece out, but hopefully it didn't puncture the honeycombs (catalyst) inside the converter. If it did, depending on the severity, you MAY be looking at a new one.

The check engine light may be on because of the converter and y-pipe problems. Have your mechanic check it when it'sin his shop just to verify.
              sigpic

Comment

Alright, thanks, I am much more relaxed that i know what is going on, my only issue is driving my car the 12 miles to his shop :naughty:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X