Newly installed headers leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly installed headers leak

I got my camaro back from the shop after installing my pacesetter headers and full cat back set up. It seems to have a leak, and from what I see it seems to be from the EGR. I did a search and found no definitive answer how to fix it. I don't want to block it off, and the only thing I can think of is to get a small clamp to hold the non-bolted side down.

Has anyone come up with a good fix that doesn't involve deleting the EGR?

Re: Newly installed headers leak

JB Weld. It's about the only solution other than a sim. You'll have to coat the thing with it. It does work, mine's been solidly sealed with it for months.

Comment

Copper RTV works well, mine is blocked off and I used it around the edges, no leaks.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If you paid a shop to install the headers they should not have given it back with any leaks. Take it back.
        sigpic

Comment

Many have had success with JBWeld, but the shop was paid as mentioned take it back to them and tell them to correct the problem they caused.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
            If you paid a shop to install the headers they should not have given it back with any leaks. Take it back.
            im going to agree with him, you don't pay for leaks, make them fix it

Comment

X3 on taking it back to the shop. EGRs are very tricky to seal with pacesetters you could try to double gasket it. FWIW i blocked mine off and sealed it with red high temp gasket maker. you don't need an EGR simulator but you MUST run premium fuel if deleting the EGR

Comment

copper rtv works fine, unbolt it, place a bead around it and put it back on.

keep checking BOTH the header bolts AND the y-pipe bolts. they will loosen up atfer a few heat cycles.

if you do go ahead and block it off, you dont need to run premium fuel. you'll be polluting the air more if you dont, but you have HAVE to run premium gas. the EGR its self is just to decrease the amount of "NOX" coming out the tail pipe. nox is created from high cylinder temps (cant remember exact temp)
                1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

you can also take the entire egr assebly off, put the egr tube on then put the rest of the egr assembly back on..i did this and mine doesnt leak, i didnt use any thing but the supplied hardware... the problem isnt the pacesetters its the old tube has been hooked up in one position to the old manifold so its hard to bend and flex to connect to the pacesetters..thats why i took the whole thing off and attached the tube first

Comment

Originally posted by loser View Post
                    you have HAVE to run premium gas. the EGR its self is just to decrease the amount of "NOX" coming out the tail pipe. nox is created from high cylinder temps (cant remember exact temp)
                    i dumped the egr and my car runs fine for years on 87
                    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                    1994 Camaro - Sold
                    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Replace the EGR lower tube assembly. If the hose is crimped at all, it will keep blowing gaskets. You will just waste your time.

Don't ask how I know.
                      2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                      2006 S60- Sold
                      2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
                        i dumped the egr and my car runs fine for years on 87
                        my point exactly.

myself, like stevethepirate, probally bent the tube during header installation. i bent the hell out of mine too, and tryed to seal it but in the end i just blocked it off. i too run 87 octane and have ZERO issues.
                        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

my point exactly.

myself, like stevethepirate, probally bent the tube during header installation. i bent the hell out of mine too, and tryed to seal it but in the end i just blocked it off. i too run 87 octane and have ZERO issues.

You monitor knock retard while your at part throttle cruise? The issue with just leaving the EGR unhooked and not having it tuned out is the PCM adds timing while at part throttle cruise for better MPG. Without the EGR working correctly the PCM pulls that timing because it spark knocks and your MPG drops up to 3 MPG. If you don't have both ends of the EGR sealed, You now have a vacuum leak when the valve opens, letting in unfiltered unmetered air. While the O2 sensors compensate for this, the PCM keeps adding the same percentage of fuel when you go WOT due to the fuel trims not being at zero.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                            You monitor knock retard while your at part throttle cruise? The issue with just leaving the EGR unhooked and not having it tuned out is the PCM adds timing while at part throttle cruise for better MPG. Without the EGR working correctly the PCM pulls that timing because it spark knocks and your MPG drops up to 3 MPG. If you don't have both ends of the EGR sealed, You now have a vacuum leak when the valve opens, letting in unfiltered unmetered air. While the O2 sensors compensate for this, the PCM keeps adding the same percentage of fuel when you go WOT due to the fuel trims not being at zero.
                            1. my EGR is sealed, on both intake and the exhuast side. i have NO vaccum leak.

2. i got 37.8 MPG all highway on my trip from N.E. PA to cleavland. right under 70mph cruise controll the whole time.

i do agree about the mileage thing, but its probally more like .5 - 1 mpg loss at best. i still get 28ish mixed city/highway more city and highway

with no vaccum leaks i would think the pcm would componsate, later model ls1's went with a slightly smaller cam and did away with the egr.

personally, i dont care that my egr is off. its been done before and myself and others have had no isssues with it.

Comment

1. my EGR is sealed, on both intake and the exhuast side. i have NO vaccum leak.

2. i got 37.8 MPG all highway on my trip from N.E. PA to cleavland. right under 70mph cruise controll the whole time.

i do agree about the mileage thing, but its probally more like .5 - 1 mpg loss at best. i still get 28ish mixed city/highway more city and highway

with no vaccum leaks i would think the pcm would componsate, later model ls1's went with a slightly smaller cam and did away with the egr.

personally, i dont care that my egr is off. its been done before and myself and others have had no isssues with it.
                              ^ My EGR is sealed also and no vacuum leaks, I also think I didn't lose MPH(if I did, didn't noticed it, damm right foot is always going to the floor), I just watch my wideband and tune it. Also watch my vac/boost gauge.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X