Free Ram Air and Stock Air lid mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ram Air and Stock Air lid mod

Well for the past 2 days I have been working on the Free Ram Air Mod, Shaving the baffles in my stock air lid and removing the Air silencer deal. I am actually quite impressed with these mods. I noticed a significant increase in power. ( Nothing radical but a definate increase) For the air baffle, I read a mod on this site where the guy ran PVC and couplers from his throttle body to his Air lid. Problem for me on that one is I have a 98 and the throttle body is angled so it wouldnt work for me. I kept going over it in my head to see if I could get something like that to work. In the end I just bought some dryer hose and ran that. It works pretty good and doesnt look to bad either. One question I do have however is does anyone know if that Intake Air Temp sensor that goes in the Intake hose is necessary or if it can just be bypassed or disconnected? Any way, Im rambling. I do recomend to anyone that is tight on cash or just dont want to spend the feria on the Fast toys or SLP Ram air system. I do however plan to get the whisper lid in the not too distand future. Anyway, Im out. Just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for reading my ramble.
    Last edited by ArmySgt97; 12-11-2008, 04:49 AM.

Re: Free Ram Air and Stock Air lid mod

BTW I am planning to buy a K&N Filter tomorrow. That should top these mods off pretty good. Just thought I would add that. Later

Comment

it will help to free things up...but the feel of power is in your head haha
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

[QUOTE=kristen;896149]it will help to free things up...but the feel of power is in your head haha[/QUOTE

I could definately fell an increase as compared to the last time I drove it. As far as it being in my head: I dont think so. I wasn't expecting this mod to do much from the get go. I figured it would be better than stock and "free things up" as you put it at the least. What was there to lose by doing this Mod? However the results are actually quite good. I was suprised. I dont know if it was a combination of the three mods or just one is standing out more that the other but I am completely satisfied with the results these mods produced and would recommend it to anyone.
        Thank you for your reply though!:rock:

Comment

i think because its louder now thats where your "feeling" the power from...
          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
          1991 3000GT VR4
          2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

What is louder? The intake? I really didnt hear that. Alot of people said that the intake would be louder but I didnt hear it. That and I was listening to music as well. Well before If I was driving in first and floored the Gas, it would just accelerate quickly. Now if I do that, the tires break loose and start burning rubber. This happend in 2nd and 3rd as well. The car would do that before unless I didn it from the start in first or i was going around a corner and downshifted and slammed it. That and it also just accelerates a little quicker now. Anyway, I know its not the sound, I can fell an actual increase.:rock:

Comment

The air intake temp sensor is crucial to achieving an optimal air/fuel ratio. It will be reading your engine bay temp if it is not plumbed inline, which will almost always be hotter than air intake temps. Meaning it will probably be running a little lean. You can plug different resistors into it so that it will be reading a constant temp, but then you will have a tendency to run rich. I would just cut a small hole in the tubing; stick the sensor in, and put some silicone around it.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                The air intake temp sensor is crucial to achieving an optimal air/fuel ratio. It will be reading your engine bay temp if it is not plumbed inline, which will almost always be hotter than air intake temps. Meaning it will probably be running a little lean. You can plug different resistors into it so that it will be reading a constant temp, but then you will have a tendency to run rich. I would just cut a small hole in the tubing; stick the sensor in, and put some silicone around it.
                That is what I figured. I just thought I would ask. That is my plan. Thank you for your help.:)

Comment

Pictures???

Comment

Originally posted by ArmySgt97 View Post
                    Well before If I was driving in first and floored the Gas, it would just accelerate quickly. Now if I do that, the tires break loose and start burning rubber. This happend in 2nd and 3rd as well.
                    I haven't laughed so hard in ages. V6 lacking power? Who knew, it was the air baffles all along!

..and yes the iat sensor is necessary. If you're doing it the hose drier way keep the oval wavy rubber thing on the intake (that the IAT goes into) and then disconnect the other end from the big plastic air silencer and stick in the dryer hose instead.
                    Last edited by lubsvitek; 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X