K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake

I read the modifications Enclyclopedia and it lists that the K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake will work on the 1998 Camaro. The only reason I am posting this question is because K&N lists it as only for the 99-02 Camaro. Will this cold Air Intake work on the 98 or are there major differences between these years that is wont work? From the Install pictures they look the same under the hood but am I mistaken? I just want to be certain before I order it and it doesnt work. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake

the 98 cars have an angled throttle body and i dont think the fipk for a 99+ will work for a 98.

The 98 has its on kit i believe

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Well the weird thing is everytime I search for 1998 V6 Cold Air Intake, It comes up with that particular model of Cold air intake. 3 different parts stores online list that very same Cold Air Intake for a 98-02 Camaro. Its really confusing me.

Comment

meaty is right. the fipk kits will only fit the 99-02 since we are straight
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Just curious - does the '98 V6 intake fit all those with the 3.8 as far back as '96? Been searching and haven't found that out.

Comment

for cold air kit, 96-98 are interchangable. If you want a lid, I think whisper sells one, but again, make sure you get the one for 98. 99+ have a straight throttlebody, instead of angled, so the connection is abit different.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

So I can get a 96 or a 97 Cold air intake and it will work on my 98?

Comment

If It's a 3.8, than maybe. I thought they started putting them into 1997 models, but your best bet of getting a good intake is buying the SLP Cold Air Induction with a K&N Filter.

I'm not even sure if you can get the slp lid because of the 98's angled throttle body.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS
                New Trans Setup:Rebuilt 4L60E, Yank ST2800 Stall, B&M Trans Cooler,
                TCI Deep Pan, Royal Purple, Trans-go Shift Kit. Should be done in January.

Comment

Yeah Ive been looking into the SLP Cold Air Induction Kit with a Whisper air lid. I was also looking at the fast toys one too. Are either of these any good? Do you have any experience with them?

Comment

I haven't used either of them, but If I were to have gotten one, it would be the whisper lid.

I just made my stock lid into a whisper lid by shaving all of the ridges off with a sander. It's the same thing, and it'll save you money.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

Did you get any noticeable gains by shaving the baffles and putting in a K&N filter?

Comment

When you have a stock airbox with a stock replacement air filter, your intake isn't working to its full potential.

When you have a whisper lid, K&N Filter, and SLP Cold Air Induction together, it makes a pretty good intake.

That's what I'd recommend.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

Alright, well I have the SS Ram air hood on this car. (It was already on there when i bought it) So I think that I will just shave down the Stock lid and get a K&N Filter. Thanks for all your advice. I think I will do that and go with a new exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by MAYH3M View Post
                            I haven't used either of them, but If I were to have gotten one, it would be the whisper lid.

I just made my stock lid into a whisper lid by shaving all of the ridges off with a sander. It's the same thing, and it'll save you money.
                            Actually, that does absolutely nothing. The point of the whisper lid is that it's taller and has a 3'' round opening as opposed to the oval flattened stock one. Shaving a stock lid is a waste of time and won't do anything at all.

You can use a pre 98 cold air kit, but keep in mind the lid covers your radiator support so it'll look awkward if you don't have a lid or if you have a lid but its just sitting there not hooked up. Why not just do it right and get a 98 whisper lid? Either order it new or look around for a used one, I picked up my used one for about $80 shipped. Also, having or not having an SS hood has no real effect on the intake, they are considered more for looks then functionality. They do help cool the underhood temps somewhat but have no real "ram air" effect, you're actually better of taping off the small opening on the front bottom of the lower intake box and getting a slp style air duct and sealing it in well.

All the "ducts" that go under the lid between your radiator and your air dam are pretty much the same regardless of being slp, ftra or whatever else. I noticed a .1 lower 1/4 mile time and lower intake temp readings in HP tuners, but they are relatively expensive for that mediocre gain, better off saving up for a tune, gears, headers or fi if thats your plan.
                            Last edited by lubsvitek; 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X