X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tornado......Really?

http://www.partsandaccessories.com/a...ped_brand=true

Alright, so, my friend recently bought this product for his cavalier, and claims that he had a large power gain and gas mileage improvement, I was just wondering what is the concept here, it says the spiraling air creates better combustion? If the air is spiraling in the intake, and combustion happens in the combustion chamber, is this even possible? I'm not taking a side here, just wondering.

Re: The Tornado......Really?

In reality, this would be somewhat beneficial on carburetted vehicles, as it would better atomize the air/fuel mixture. However, on fuel injected cars, this is completely useless IMO. Think about it, to make the most power and best efficiency, you want to get air in/out of your engine as quickly and smoothly as possible. The spirals on this spacer create turbulence, and disrupt the smooth air flow into the engine.

Comment

The spiral effect it creates in your air intake tube increases the velocity in which the air enters the throttle body. The screen on the front of the throttle body straightens the the airflow before entering the intake manifold so the spiraling effect stops there. I had a tornado on my camaro at one time and thought I noticed a slight difference, but it was probably mostly just in my head. Gains will be minimal at best.

Comment

the way are cars are set up, no increases....if anything you lose power because your actually blocking flow.

Comment

^ ditto and your friend is full of **** BTW haha but then again thats a ricer for you...
          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
          1991 3000GT VR4
          2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
            the way are cars are set up, no increases....if anything you lose power because your actually blocking flow.
            100% correct, i put it on and my car lost power, it actually kills 10% of your power and give you the same MPG when you were running that extra 10% so it is a big waste of time, your cavalier buddy is a true ricer, he probably said he got 20 hp from a JEGS sticker,lol no offense.

Comment

IMO, techsan has it right. Sicne our MAF screens straighten the flow of air, you're not going to see much if any difference. Now, if you were able to remove the MAF screen with no problems, you might, but then the MAF won't get an accurate reading and all, if any, gains will probably be contradicted by the car running worse.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

maybe on the straight tb's it would work, especially without the MAF screen however on most cars such as the 3.4 the intake is at a 90 degree turn going into the TB, not to mention there are about three seperate 45 degree turns in the upper intake so the "spiraling" effect would probably be gone by then.

Comment

If you search the web you will find lawsuits against the makes of this because it just doesn't work. On anything. To make the motor more efficient you want the smoothest air flow in the entire intake track, from the CAI to the intake valve. This advertises it does the exact opposite. Why do people spend thousands on porting heads and intakes to reduce turbulence if adding turbulence will increase power? Why do we put smooth lids and bellows on our air intakes before the TB? This is really common sense if you think about how the engine is just a big air pump. The more air it can pump the more power it will make.
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't know people were stupid enough to buy this. Or even think about it.

Comment

I was given one (for free) for my Firebird. It did ABSOLUTELY nothing. No additional power, no change to MPG, nothing at all...

Take it from me, don't waste your money. Mine was free and I tossed it in the trash after about 2 months.

Comment

2 months?!?!?!? shoulda done it after 2 minutes

Comment

the idea is atomization and maybe it would help somewhat on a realllly old carbureted engine. Get a better air filter if you want a real product

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                            2 months?!?!?!? shoulda done it after 2 minutes
                            The 2 months was the next time that I felt like taking apart the air intake tube.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              4 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X