Ram Air Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air Setup

heres the new ram air kit i got for my ws6 ram air hood. (click to enlarge pics)

[IMG][/IMG]

looks pretty sweet huh? k&n filter too

i have some questions on how to mount this and also on what to do with 2 holes in the front of the box that i don't know what to do with.

[IMG][/IMG]

^^ here's the bottom of the kit, there is a groove in the plastic and then a hole at the bottom, i can only assume this is the mounting hole for the kit, since it's the only one? So what bolt goes through that hole? I imagine i'll have to use one of the bolts on the radiator shroud and install it into that?

Re: Ram Air Setup

[IMG][/IMG]

^^ here's the two holes that flank the intake outlet, i might be able to put my IAC into the hole on the right, but i have no use for the one on the left, should i just plug it up?

Finally, i will have no spot to put my crankcase ventilation tube, so what have you guys done with that?? can you just put a small air filter on the end of that tube?? All it does is bring fresh air into the crank case so i can't see that hurting anything.

whoevers done a ram air kit before, help me out here!! thanks

Comment

The hole on the bottom is for the mounting screw. Just lay the box on top of the radiator shroud, and you'll see which screw goes there. The 2 holes in the back of it, just get creative and plug up the hole thats closest to the passenger side (mine already had a rubber boot on it). Then just plug the IAT sensor in the hole on the other side.

The crankcase vent tube, here's what I did:

That's a REALLY old picture of back when I was installing my headers. But what I did was I got that vent tube, and kept the angled part, and used a grinder to grind off the ends. There's not enough room to put just the filter down on the valve cover. Thats why I had to keep a short length of the tube to elevate it so it would fit. Then the grommet on the valve cover is a 90* angle. I just used some wire snips and cut off the bend, and stuck the tube inside. Works like a charm, and it's so far back there you really don't even notice it. You can pick up one of those little filters at any auto parts store.

Hope this helps, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been really wrapped up playing this new game I bought.
      <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

Originally posted by blindeyed View Post
        The hole on the bottom is for the mounting screw. Just lay the box on top of the radiator shroud, and you'll see which screw goes there. The 2 holes in the back of it, just get creative and plug up the hole thats closest to the passenger side (mine already had a rubber boot on it). Then just plug the IAT sensor in the hole on the other side.

The crankcase vent tube, here's what I did:

That's a REALLY old picture of back when I was installing my headers. But what I did was I got that vent tube, and kept the angled part, and used a grinder to grind off the ends. There's not enough room to put just the filter down on the valve cover. Thats why I had to keep a short length of the tube to elevate it so it would fit. Then the grommet on the valve cover is a 90* angle. I just used some wire snips and cut off the bend, and stuck the tube inside. Works like a charm, and it's so far back there you really don't even notice it. You can pick up one of those little filters at any auto parts store.

Hope this helps, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been really wrapped up playing this new game I bought.

thanks for the great info blindeyed, this answers all my questions.

:wavey:

Comment

Not a problem man, let me know if you need any more help, and congrats on the new air box!

Comment

should go nice with my build

Comment

nice stuff, be sure to recharge the filter and post pics when u are done.
              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
              1994 Camaro - Sold
              1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

thanks tom, i will buy a recharge kit, did you know a replacement filter is like 75 $ !!!

Comment

replacement filts from K&n can be exspensive, but they come with warranty, so if it breaks or something they replace fore free. Its just up to you to recharge it.

Once you get everything installed, let us know if you felt a performance increase, im sure the car will pull harder at higher speeds

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                    [IMG][/IMG]

^^ here's the two holes that flank the intake outlet, i might be able to put my IAC into the hole on the right, but i have no use for the one on the left, should i just plug it up?

Finally, i will have no spot to put my crankcase ventilation tube, so what have you guys done with that?? can you just put a small air filter on the end of that tube?? All it does is bring fresh air into the crank case so i can't see that hurting anything.

whoevers done a ram air kit before, help me out here!! thanks
                    The hookups are for the LT1 or LT4 engine,you might not need them on a 3.4L

The one on the passengers side is for the Idle Air Temp Sensor(IAT) it tells the computer what the intake air temperature is.

The drivers side is the hook up for the electric air pump inlet.

Comment

if i keep part of my stock intake elbow i will not need to use either of those holes on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                        if i keep part of my stock intake elbow i will not need to use either of those holes on the front.
                        If you do what I did and cut your elbow into two different halves to make it straight, then you will need to use the hole on the passenger side of the air box. At least I did any way. It's better to have your IAT sensor in the air box any way so it will be further away from the engine and will read colder air temps.

Comment

Originally posted by blindeyed View Post
                          If you do what I did and cut your elbow into two different halves to make it straight, then you will need to use the hole on the passenger side of the air box. At least I did any way. It's better to have your IAT sensor in the air box any way so it will be further away from the engine and will read colder air temps.
                          true, or i can just put my slp iat sensor on and call it a day :banana:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X