Cold Air Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Air Intake

I have a flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my 2001 3.8L and thinking about upgrading my intake... what is a good replacement to my stock intake? how much power can i expect to gain and at what cost do the intakes run?

Re: Cold Air Intake

K&N Airfilter- $30-60
    Whisper Lid- $110
    SLP Cold Air Intake- $130

Can't find many better setups for a lightly modified car.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I'm thinking about getting the SLP CAI since I already have the lid and filter. Is it hard to install?
      2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Nope. Did mine about a month ago. All you do is pull off the air box, pull out the tray from it and cut a couple inches of plastic from the tray. Drill the CAI into the support, seal it, and reassemble. Easy as that and comes with detailed instructions. :)

If you want to try to save a couple dollars on it, try to find a credible ebay seller. I got mine new for $115 shipped from tnamotorsports on Ebay. It came in 2 days later and was sealed by SLP.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          K&N Airfilter- $30-60
          Whisper Lid- $110
          SLP Cold Air Intake- $130

Can't find many better setups for a lightly modified car.
          so are those two seperate setups? the K&N Airfilter with the Whisper Lid as one setup and the SLP Cold Air Intake as another?

Comment

Originally posted by golfproeric View Post
            so are those two seperate setups? the K&N Airfilter with the Whisper Lid as one setup and the SLP Cold Air Intake as another?
            Yea, the SLP CAI works with the whisper lid.
            2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Nope. Did mine about a month ago. All you do is pull off the air box, pull out the tray from it and cut a couple inches of plastic from the tray. Drill the CAI into the support, seal it, and reassemble. Easy as that and comes with detailed instructions. :)

If you want to try to save a couple dollars on it, try to find a credible ebay seller. I got mine new for $115 shipped from tnamotorsports on Ebay. It came in 2 days later and was sealed by SLP.

I didn't see your response. Did you notice a difference over just having the lid and filter or did you do it all at once?
              2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider View Post
                I didn't see your response. Did you notice a difference over just having the lid and filter or did you do it all at once?
                I installed each one separately over the past half year. Filter won't really change much, and the lid made a little difference. It was only really noticeable by the tone of the car when it first drew in air on startup, and a little bit in harder acceleration. The cold air intake seemed to make quite a difference, probably from the combination of all three. It put a little more oomph into acceleration and makes a pretty cool puff noise when you push down on the gas in park. I can sometimes hear it slightly whistle, but only on cold nights. Overall, the three are much better than stock. But I don't have the full exhaust to complete it yet.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I installed each one separately over the past half year. Filter won't really change much, and the lid made a little difference. It was only really noticeable by the tone of the car when it first drew in air on startup, and a little bit in harder acceleration. The cold air intake seemed to make quite a difference, probably from the combination of all three. It put a little more oomph into acceleration and makes a pretty cool puff noise when you push down on the gas in park. I can sometimes hear it slightly whistle, but only on cold nights. Overall, the three are much better than stock. But I don't have the full exhaust to complete it yet.

so you installed the K&N with the Whisper Lid AND the SLP CAI? How do they fit?

Comment

Originally posted by golfproeric View Post
                    so you installed the K&N with the Whisper Lid AND the SLP CAI? How do they fit?
                    K&N air filter takes the place of the paper ones that you get from the auto store. Whisper Lid just replaces the stock air box lid. And the SLP CAI is a sheetmetal channel that drops down under the air box tray and runs in front of part of the radiator.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ok that makes more sense... about how much more power did you pick up with all of that installed?

Comment

I haven't taken it out to a dyno. Neither before install or after. All I could say is the combined affect of all three may have given me a few extra horsepower. As previously stated, it's not complete without an aftermarket exhaust.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X