Catalytic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalytic Question

Quick question regarding the CC. I know it will affect gas mileage but how quickly will it fail. I've noticed that my gas mileage has dropped off a bit and then my transmission blew up, totally unrelated. I took it into the shop, good shop does all my trans work for me, and they said the CC was too clogged to even do a good test drive on it. I know it was starting to fail, at least that was my guess, due to the decreased mileage and nothing else really failing so getting it replaced I'm not worried about. I'm just wondering how much smoke he's blowing. If these really could fail that rapidly?
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Re: Catalytic Question

IMO, under the right circumstances, cats can fail rather quickly. What kills them is raw gasoline, possibly a result of running too rich, having a misfire, or a bad injector. But you should be able to tell when the cat is bad; they usually rattle when they've broken apart internally, and under heavy acceleration, the car will act boggy. FWIW.

Comment

Matter of fact they can fail rapidly due to running too rich.
      Leonard
      www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
      sigpic

Comment

Hadn't thought about them failing that quick but I guess anything is possible. Best I can tell I'm not running rich, but then I'm not driving but 10 minutes between work and home so kinda hard to tell. Ah well, it will be replaced and I'll have a rebuilt trans with upgraded bands, clutches and a vette servo all for less than $500 including the towing and rental car, rather monster truck, for a week so whatever. I get her back today, can't wait to turn in this v8 titan I got.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmysprinkle View Post
          IMO, under the right circumstances, cats can fail rather quickly. What kills them is raw gasoline, possibly a result of running too rich, having a misfire, or a bad injector. But you should be able to tell when the cat is bad; they usually rattle when they've broken apart internally, and under heavy acceleration, the car will act boggy. FWIW.
          this is very interesting

for the past 6 months or so if i rev up my car, or when i shift i can hear a rattling sound.. i wonder if it is the cat

its pretty annoying, and loud, cant hear it inside the car though, only with hte windows down

although my car doesnt act too boggy

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            for the past 6 months or so if i rev up my car, or when i shift i can hear a rattling sound.. i wonder if it is the cat

its pretty annoying, and loud, cant hear it inside the car though, only with hte windows down

although my car doesnt act too boggy
            yours might be a heat shield

Comment

Wow, wrong section for this but just to add to the exisiting thread. What a difference. It wouldn't be noticeable to someone that is just driving it or riding in it but if you know what your doing it's noticeable. Since it was only the servo and bands it isn't like neck snapping gear shifts but the downshifts are a lot more responsive and the upshifts are quicker. Seems to be a little quicker but that could be cc getting replaced, trans getting redone so not gonna say it's quicker but def more responsive.

Comment

so you wanna tell us how old your cat is, since "quick" is a reletive term

Comment

Just to add.. I believe someone said that idling a lot likes to hurt cats too. I believe they said it was due to too much heat built up behind the cat by not having it flow through and out. I don't know how much truth that holds though.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

my exhaust is extremely rattly ( sounds like the cat ) but it goes away when the car is warmed up, i'm taking it that its not shot then?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                      so you wanna tell us how old your cat is, since "quick" is a reletive term
                      It only had about 92k on it. I noticed also yesterday that the new cat changed the exhaust note a little. Slightly raspier at high revs, with the lack of an air silencer and stock dual exhaust it's negligble on the highway. I'm having to relearn the trans though just because of the improved downshifts ( don't require nearly as much throttle input to downshift and accelerate) and the upshifts are quicker. It's a fun car again.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                        It only had about 92k on it. I noticed also yesterday that the new cat changed the exhaust note a little. Slightly raspier at high revs, with the lack of an air silencer and stock dual exhaust it's negligble on the highway. I'm having to relearn the trans though just because of the improved downshifts ( don't require nearly as much throttle input to downshift and accelerate) and the upshifts are quicker. It's a fun car again.
                        My cat went bad at 60k somethin in an 02

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X