I have a intake gasket leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a intake gasket leak

My car has been running hot lately and I couldn't figure out why but when I would put water in the radiator it wouldn't over heat so I took it to my mechanic and he showed me the water that was by the intake cover that says 3800. He quoted me a price 400 dollars and he said he would also change my spark plugs while he is at it. My question is how much stuff has to be taken off my car for him to get to the intake manifold and fix the gaskets it could be lower or upper so Im gonna get both changed. I have nitrous hooked up to my car and I dont want him to unhook my nitrous and all my other stuff and misplace something that I really need thats why I wanna know what all has to be removed for him to do the job like does the belt tensioner come off

Re: I have a intake gasket leak

I don't really understand your question. Is it just me or is anyone lost too? If he just needs to get to your intake manifold, then he just needs to take off the intake. $400 seems pretty high for that.

Comment

theres some tricky bolts in the back to get that manifold off I believe, but im not exactly sure of your problem and idk get a quote from another mechanic

Comment

$400 seems like a good price IMO. I know people who are quoted $200+ just to do plugs on our cars.....

From the Advanced Section sticky (edited abit):

Basic Disassembly:
        Remove the alternator.
        Remove the EGR system, brackets and tubes.
        Remove the spark plug wires.
        Remove the spark plugs.
        Unplug the wiring harness from the throttle body.
        Unplug the injectors from the harness.
        Remove the fuel rail.
        Remove heater coolant hoses from top passenger side of front cover. The gray plastic covers turn to remove the hoses.
        Remove the upper intake manifold (plenum). -Note the location of the o-rings, etc. Don’t forget, maybe draw it or take a picture.
        Remove the lower intake manifold. -There are two bolts inside, driver rear and passenger front. NOTE - There is a black plastic tube under the front of the lower intake manifold that connects to the front cover, it is hard to see and easy to break. Unbolt the manifold and make sure it is loose, then grab it by the back by the firewall and rotate it towards the front of the car (essentially flipping it over almost). When it’s about upside down, you can pull gently towards the front of the car to remove it. Many have broken this part.
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

upper and lower intake gaskets for our cars i think are supposed to be charged for just short of 5 hours labor. shop rates can go anywhere from 80-100 bucks an hour plus the price for the parts, so id say 400 is best youre gunna find anywhere.

Comment

I put some gasket leak stopper in my radiator its supposed to stop leak and I think it may have but we shall see hopefully it has

Comment

doubt it fixed the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by eric v6 View Post
                I put some gasket leak stopper in my radiator its supposed to stop leak and I think it may have but we shall see hopefully it has
                :eek:

Make sure that's coolant puddled up and not rain or any water that might have gotten in there from a wash.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I will do cause it might not be a leak

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X