X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EGR epic failure.

gotcha
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

So your saying that after replacing your EGR and cleaning out the passage, you're no longer getting any codes thrown when decelerating? Just wanted to confirm that. I have the exact same problem, ended up just removing the EGR all together and using block off plates.
      <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

Originally posted by blindeyed View Post
        So your saying that after replacing your EGR and cleaning out the passage, you're no longer getting any codes thrown when decelerating? Just wanted to confirm that. I have the exact same problem, ended up just removing the EGR all together and using block off plates.

unfortunately NO i can't say for a fact that i have tried this yet because the upper intake that i cleaned out is the one that i purchased to have p&p and installed in the spring with the rest of my epic build.

however, i can say that there have been some other people who have done this with success and if i might add the logic does seem to add up, even on a pragmatic level. For instance, with the egr passage completely clogged at one point or another this means that your egr valve is opening to let the exhaust gasses in but its not happening because of the clog. now i don't know exactly how the pcm KNOWS that the egr isn't doing its job but i could probably make a couple guesses. 1. a sensor never detects any extra exhaust gasses coming through the engine when it expects it (o2's?) or 2. simply put the egr recognizes that it's not getting any vaccum since the vaccum comes from the upper intake plenum and therfore sets off a trouble code that the EGR isn't working when in fact its simply the clogged up passage way.

either way, one can see how flawed the EGR system is on the 3.4 with that stupid little passage way that is probably no wider at its most prodigous point than 2 soda pop straws. Did GM really not realize that carbon builds up eventually?? oh well.

there ya go blindeyed, sorry for the delayed response and i promise to let you know the results as soon as my new cleaned up intake goes on in may!!!

Comment

^ Did you ever solve this problem. I'm having the same exact issue when I decelerate the car at High speeds.

Comment

Is the long passage from the EGR to the plenum, the "S" shaped metal passage? Would it be possible for you to upload a pic of it. I've had this problem for a while but just want to make sure it's the right passage before I remove it.

Comment

there is only one passage for the EGR and you can't miss it. just follow where the egr enters the plenum on the passenger side and follow it underneath. it eventually resurfaces just inside the TB opening. I suppose it is S shaped or something close to that. I know it's not straight.

And YES, it did solve the problem, no more EGR code. Funny though, i spent all that time worrying about the EGR and now that i'm tuning i just disabled it altogether lol

.... oh well.

you could probably clean it out with a sturdy pipe cleaner and some carb cleaner like i did.

Comment

thanks man. That's where I thought it was. lol. I'll probably end up doin the same thing eventually

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X