short tube headers vs. long tube headers? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

short tube headers vs. long tube headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short tube headers vs. long tube headers?

whats the difference between the two?

Re: short tube headers vs. long tube headers?

We'll see once the FFF headers are done.. Well a couple people already have them..

But in general, isn't it like, shorties = ~15-20hp and longtubes = ~40-50 hp

That includes tune/full bolt-ons etc.

Am I right? I don't know.. either way longtubes>shorties if you can afford it.

Comment

40-50hp from longtubes????????

highly doubtful...I kinda know the difference but I can't explain it, so I'll let someone else chime in...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

You dont want longtubes if your car is lowerd. they tend to scrape the ground. As far as power gains. My stock V6 with a lid and a flowmaster catback put down 170rwhp. with the RKsports headers, y-pipe, no cat, coil packs and tune it made 188rwhp..I have mid length headers on my T/A which are the best of both worlds.
        Jeff ..
        1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
        2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
        1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
        http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

^ And that's probably untuned correct?

I'm talkin longtubes just open headers, with a tune. No Y-pipe obviously. All I know is once I get mine, I will never know the true gains because I will have H/C going in at the same time.

Comment

long tubes generally give more horsepower and torque in the lower rpm range. if you have the room, go for it.

Comment

i believe the long tubes being made for our cars now produce like a 2 rwhp gain

Comment

now what about sound difference? which one will give a deeper sound? and will tht deeper sound dissipate as u get higher in rpms?

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx View Post
                  We'll see once the FFF headers are done.. Well a couple people already have them..

But in general, isn't it like, shorties = ~15-20hp and longtubes = ~40-50 hp

That includes tune/full bolt-ons etc.

Am I right? I don't know.. either way longtubes>shorties if you can afford it.
                  Not quite LOL.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...&postcount=657

All the dyno charts are there.
                  sigpic
                  1997 Camaro RS A4
                  2006 Chevy Colorado
                  2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by blackfbird98 View Post
                    now what about sound difference? which one will give a deeper sound? and will tht deeper sound dissipate as u get higher in rpms?
                    your not going to get a deep sound from a v6 no matter what you do

buy what you want, dont buy for sound, as you will never get it

Comment

They produce More low end torque and a little bit more higher end hp. There is a slight sound difference, not much.
                      btw i have long tubes. My car is also lowered, and they dont scrap.

I pretty much saw a 4-6 hp increase over shorties.

Personaly i dont think they are worth the 700+ price tag, plus the price of a y-pipe/xpipe/hpipe or whatever set up you want to run.
                      Last edited by Meatyshells; 08-18-2008, 03:08 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo View Post
                        i believe the long tubes being made for our cars now produce like a 2 rwhp gain
                        ^ True, the dyno didn't show that big of gain over the shorties if at all, looks like I'll keep my Rksport headers.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

40-50 lol...i didnt c that with my Long Tubes on my LT1

87 Firebird RIP
                          96 Camaro RS RIP
                          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

lol. Ok, yeah I only thought it would be a minimal gain over shorties.. but I could have sworn somewhere in that thread or somewhere they got like 50 HP or something? I didn't even believe it myself, and I still don't.. But either way..

Longtubes > shorties. Probably not worth the extra money, but they're much nicer.

Comment

lol, you guys crack me up in this thread. I am going to pass on trying to get all the facts corrected in this thread.

Let's just say I put my downpayment down on some LTs as soon as I could. It is WORTH it over pacesetters and way better than stock. My pacesetters will be for sale this winter.
                              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X