Reoccuring exhaust rattle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccuring exhaust rattle...

Damn, there's not much more that I hate than an annoying exhaust rattle... I've had this exhaust rattle come and go about 3 times now, I have a flowmaster muffler and a 5 speed manual transmission. It mainly rattles when I'm at a stop and start accelerating. While getting up to speed in 1st gear, there's quite a bit of nasty sounding rattling... The previous times it rattled, I took it to my local muffler shop and they said it was a loose manifold bolt I think... They didn't charge me anything last time, but I'm afraid they will if I bring it in again.

Re: Reoccuring exhaust rattle...

I think it's your muffler. The chambers in the flowmaster mufflers tend to rust out. I had a rattle that I hated but it eventually went away with my flowmaster. Also, someone on here had taken their muffler off and all of the vertical plates in the muffler were no where to be found. Just rusted out. Well actually, how long have you had it?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Sounds like your Cat(I had mine several times rattle the metal casting) or the heat sheild above it.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        I think it's your muffler. The chambers in the flowmaster mufflers tend to rust out. I had a rattle that I hated but it eventually went away with my flowmaster. Also, someone on here had taken their muffler off and all of the vertical plates in the muffler were no where to be found. Just rusted out. Well actually, how long have you had it?
        Ya you're right. I've had this muffler since 2002. :D

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Sounds like your Cat(I had mine several times rattle the metal casting) or the heat sheild above it.
          The last time i took it to the muffler shop, I though for sure it was my cat or heat shield. They told me it was something around the manifold. I dunno...

Comment

lol yeah, ssms5411 could also be correct. lmao I forget about those cause I just took em off mine and never looked back.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The cat was replaced only about 10,000 miles ago so I really hope it isn't it. I live in Cali so I gotta have the cat...

Comment

Alrighty, well I'm bettin it's the muffler. Get somethin new! I'm sure you're sick of that tone by now anyways right? If not, it'll go away over time. Mine eventually did but until then I didn't even want to step on the gas.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Actually I really like how my exhaust sounds, except of course the rattle. Take a listen. It wasn't rattling when I made this vid though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3hNlRrMX0s

Comment

do you have the full flowmaster catback or just the muffler?

EDIT:

I see from the video that you have the full catback. If you have the 2.5" model with the resonator on the side of the I-Pipe, that resonator will rattle ALL THE TIME.

not to mention the car sounds 10x better without it.

EDIT:

I also see from your video that you're a complete **** with your car. way to completely blow by several stop signs, and speed excessively through a populated neighborhood.
                    Last edited by Firebirdkid96; 07-29-2008, 12:14 PM.
                    Y87 Package
                    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                    BONE APPROVED!
                    VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                    KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                    Team Black...TEAM EMO
                    sigpic
                    Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post

EDIT:

I see from the video that you have the full catback. If you have the 2.5" model with the resonator on the side of the I-Pipe, that resonator will rattle ALL THE TIME.

EDIT:

I also see from your video that you're a complete **** with your car. way to completely blow by several stop signs, and speed excessively through a populated neighborhood.
                      lmao! How can you tell?? I can't see anything but an angle from his pants....
                      Last edited by Blizzard242; 07-29-2008, 03:37 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post

EDIT:

EDIT:

No, you're wrong. I only have a Flowmaster muffler with 3.5 inch slash cut tips.

Also, about your BS claim about my driving and where I do it... Watch the video again. Start at the 3:20 mark. See that stop sign I'm coming to? The one I stop completely at? That's the exit from my "populated neighborhood"... It's a 4 lane highway with almost zero traffic where I did all of my speed runs. Except the final 0-115 run which was done on a secluded road out in the middle of nowhere. And btw, I didn't blow by even 1 stop sign...

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          lmao! How can you tell?? I can't see anything but an angle from his pants....
                          Kinda hard to do speed runs with a manual transmission while recording. ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X