Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header prefs

I'm going to buy headers this summer for my 2000 3.8
    I'm trying to decide between pacestters or Clear Image Automotive. The CIA ones look better for some reason, but maybe its because they're more expensive...

opinions? facts? comments?

Re: Header prefs

CIA is better, but as long as you get good gaskets pacesetters are fine.

Comment

RKsport has the biggest primaries at 1.75, but they come with 2 bolt flanges that suck. I just had a exhaust shop switch them out to 3 bolt flanges and I haven't had any leaks since I've put them on, going 8 years now.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The larger primary is a bad idea if going on a stock or near stock motor. If you plan on going with cam/heads, FI or big nitrous then they would be fine.
        sigpic

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a larger primary on a stock car, you want the burnt gas to get out. I've had mine 8 years with no problems and I'm sure their are many others that have the RK headers as well.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The larger primary moves the torque peek up in the RPM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              The larger primary moves the torque peek up in the RPM.
              Theres nothing wrong with that, your power is still there though and probably a little more than before, I like the RK's just because after 8 years or more they still have their coating and still look good.

Comment

Something to read about header design.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Header_design
                sigpic

Comment

Good info on V8's, but doesn't give any info for V6's , up above in the stickies is the back pressure myth. The collectors on the headers we have are all 2 1/2" it is just the primaries that are different.

Comment

Primaries need to be properly sized. Too big will slow velocity.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

The same physics that apply to V8 header design apply to V6's And even 4 cylinders. Headers by Ed use to have an abundance of information on there web page but they didn't renew the registration on the .com and lost it. He hasn't had the page back up since.
                      sigpic

Comment

hmm. I might do cam/heads in the future and I'm interested in upping the compression ratio. So would the larger primaries leave some growing room? What rpms is the stock motor peak at? Someone told me like 52000 or 5800 or something, but that seems really close to redline, if I were to up it much more, I'd be afraid of the rev limiter killing it. I can't tune yet.

the headers will probably flow to a cutout (most likely post cat, but I need to read up on vehicle code to see if I can put it before the cat), if that makes a difference.

Comment

So who came up with 1.75" primaries are too big, I have never seen anyone post saying they lost HP on the dyno running RK sport headers or any posts saying I think I lost power putting RK sport headers on. But I really don't care I run a cam and nitrous and the headers work well for my application, even before the cam I ran them N/A and felt the increase of power, also they worked well with running the powerdyne I had making 288HP and 330 TQ. So I'll say it again, it is all in the preference in who is buying them.

Comment

I've never seen anyone compare the two size primary tubes, Dyno or track results.
                            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X