Pacesetter Header problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacesetter Header problems?

I have a blown 96 3.8L with Pacesetter headers. Forgive my technical-description mistakes (if there are any)...but recently we discovered that on the passenger side header the flange separated from at least one of the tubes causing a big exhaust leak. I'm attaching pictures of the problem. I contacted Pacesetter and I think they're willing to replace it (I don't have the receipt anymore so I'm waiting to hear back on that).
    I need the header replaced but I'm a bit scared that if I get Pacesetter again the problem will happen again. Is there an alternative? What would you do in this situation? Have you had problems too?

Re: Pacesetter Header problems?

did you make sure to tighten the bolts, from the inside out, when installing them? Looks like the gasket wasn't sealing completely, allowing super-hot exhaust vapor to get at the metal, causing all the burning and whatnot

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
      did you make sure to tighten the bolts, from the inside out, when installing them?
      I didn't do the installation myself so I can't tell you if that was done or not. :( Someone with a lot of experience worked on the car so I would assume that person would have done what needed to be done.
      Would an improper seal cause all three pipes to separate from the flange? Would a well-made header not stand up to that? It had less than 300 miles on it. Probably many less miles. You think it may have been the installer and not the product?

Comment

Looks to me like someone milled or ground the flange smooth. There should be a raised area around each port where it is welded. Those flanges are smooth, When you do that you need to weld around the outside of the tube. If Pacesetter has you send them in and See's they are modified, there not going to replace them.
        sigpic

Comment

the bead of the weld is gone so theres nothing holding the two together, doubt they will replace it due to the fact it was modified

Comment

yeah, with those being modified like that, pacesetter will not replace them if they look at them before they ship you the new one.
            Y87 Package
            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic
            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by 00delbz View Post
              the bead of the weld is gone so theres nothing holding the two together, doubt they will replace it due to the fact it was modified
              Hmmm.... I don't think it was removed or modified. I think they came just like this. As I look at the header there is no sign that the pipes were ever welded to the flange. x 20. Does anyone have pictures of a pair of Pacesetters for comparison?
              I'm taking it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to have it welded. I hope that will do the trick, and certainly will be cheaper than buying a new set.

Comment

NO doubt they were modified. They are normally welded on the cylinder head side.
                sigpic

Comment

So, i just picked up a set of pacesetters for my 3.4 and they are welded on the inside of the tube, is that the way they should be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X