EGR delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR delete

hey i was just wondering if any of you have deleted the egr on the 3.4, specifically 93 to 95 or 96 not sure which (basically obd1) and if it threw a service engine code and if there is anyway to remove it.

thanks.

Re: EGR delete

It will throw a code, and you really should not remove it. Why do you want to remove it?

Removing the EGR has been known to cause pinging.

Comment

I did the block off on mine. It just didn't make sense to me (EGR)
      sending that old,, burned hot gases back to a location where I worked hard to get clean, cool air and fuel. I'd like to remove the code also. Do they even
      still make a OBD 1 reader that will erase codes?
      Didn't get any ping.
      Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Deleting the EGR will give you less MPG. It only operates at part throttle cruise. It will cause detonation at part throttle cruise as well on low octane fuel.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Deleting the EGR will give you less MPG. It only operates at part throttle cruise. It will cause detonation at part throttle cruise as well on low octane fuel.
          I know the consequences.

I was just asking will it throw a code which has been answered

However, is there anyway to get rid of this code for just the EGR?

Comment

I believe someone makes an EGR simulator for the non- flash-able cars like the 3.4's.
            sigpic

Comment

I've seen alot of people do the EGR mod. Including myself. I have not noticed any ping on 87 octane (detonation) or loss of fuel mileage. I believed the EGR was mainly for emissions only. Can you tell me from a more technical stand point why it should not be blocked off? Would like to have more input from members who have done the mod. and there experiences. I've had no loss of performance that I'm aware of.

95 3.4L

Comment

Blocking it off does nothing to increase performance. The only time the EGR is active is at part throttle. The EGR lowers combustion temperatures by allowing less combustible material in the combustion chamber (that is how it helps emissions). Less combustible material in the chamber means less cylinder pressure during combustion and that allows more timing to be added for better part throttle MPG. If your not hearing audible knock, it's because your knock sensors are working and your PCM is pulling timing. Most people that remove/ disable the EGR think that it " gives the exhaust gas a second chance to burn" and that is just not true.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 95V64ME View Post
                  I did the block off on mine. It just didn't make sense to me (EGR) sending that old,, burned hot gases back to a location where I worked hard to get clean, cool air and fuel.
                  It's a lot cleaner than the crankcase vapors that the PVC is venting into your UIM.
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Yeah I used to think it was further burning exhaust gases and was dumb. I still think it's dumb. heh anyways, do local auto stores have those block off plates or do I need to get one somewhere specifically. I've though about just fabbing up my own but not until I know a few certain specifications about em and I haven't seen one yet.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I've never seen anything other then small block Chevy block offs at the local stores.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well screw it, i'll make somethin up then. It will be good. People will get jealous of my EGR block off plate.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

if you havnt already done it...what i did was thread the hole with a tap, and then put a threaded plug in the hole with some copper RTV around the threads to seal it. worked for me.

can EGR be tuned out? I just recently removed mine and blocked it off and am getting my car tuned here pretty soon, and if i can just tune it out that would be nice so my car doesnt try to work the EGR and nothing happens.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

www.zzperformance.com
                            Y87 Package
                            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                            BONE APPROVED!
                            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                            Team Black...TEAM EMO
                            sigpic
                            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

I made my own with a small rectangle of aluminum, the original bolt and some rtv. I only had to do the uim hole since the hole for the headers was welded shut already. I'd be afraid to tap the hole and get aluminum shavings down into my manifolds.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X