Just finished my new intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished my new intake

Just finished up my new intake today. Before I had the same K&N filter on but had the stock box thing off the TB, and the skinny tube off the box is where I connected the metal tube with the filter. Well I saw some of the pics on this site of how people did it and knew the skinny piece was choke point so I figured it was time to fix it.

$30 later and a few hours and I had whats in the pic. The hardest part was the piece off the TB, I got some advice from silverbullet about the piece, got the same piece and tried the hot water trick to stretch the 3in to 2.5in piece to go over the TB and on the 3in pipe. That didnt work so got out the heat gun and a few pieces of pipe and streched it and finally got it all in place and clamped and what not.

Reason why I was doing it is because I wanted to see if I could get a few more mpg out of it, getting average of like 24ish now, not hw, so hoping to get 25 or 26. 97 camaro with 125k miles, and I dont drive it too gentle, but running premium gas. Well even if I dont get more I could definitely feel a difference in power. Definite change and I like it. Its a fair amount louder than it was which doesnt bother me at all, sounds good to me.

Also question, I put the sensor back in the with the little rubber boot thing, but what does that sensor do? just wondering.

Heres a kind of crappy pic of the thing.

Re: Just finished my new intake

It a IAT or Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Wasn't there a hole under where you have the filter you could have put a 90 and had the filter picking up cool air instead of hot engine compartment air?
    sigpic

Comment

Isn't that a temp sensor?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

yeah theres a hole under the filter, I thought about doing it but would it really help all that much? Right now the air comes in from where the headlights sit so that outside air. I mean how much would that help it pulling the air from down there?

Comment

Isn't that were GM had the stock Air intake? Cooler air helps a bunch.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
            Reason why I was doing it is because I wanted to see if I could get a few more mpg out of it, getting average of like 24ish now, not hw, so hoping to get 25 or 26. 97 camaro with 125k miles, and I dont drive it too gentle, but running premium gas. Well even if I dont get more I could definitely feel a difference in power. Definite change and I like it. Its a fair amount louder than it was which doesnt bother me at all, sounds good to me.

Also question, I put the sensor back in the with the little rubber boot thing, but what does that sensor do? just wondering.

That sensor is the air intake temperature sensor.

Why are you wasting your money on premium gas? Our cars do not need it.

Comment

For me its not a waste, premium gets me around 2mpg better, which in the end saves me about $2 per tank, not a lot but it adds up. And yes I have calculated it, I keep track of that stuff everytime I fill up.

Comment

and as for moving the intake, I havent seen much info saying how it being down there helps so I dont think its worth the money to move it

Comment

Differences I've personally seen in lower grade and premium fuel in our cars.. Well with like 5-10k mile differences on the engines.. the one with less miles I've constantly put 92 or 93 in and I've raced it one season at the dragstrip. The throttle body is pretty damn clean. In the higher mileage car that constantly used the 89 or 87 whatever it is I dunno, never raced, driven easy.. has more problems and carbon built up like crazy in the upper intake. It's bad and it's my project car. I'll stick with the higher priced gas myself because I like to take care of my cars how they take care of me :) BTW i do know higher octane is used for higher comp engines to prevent pre-ignition.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

and as for moving the intake, I havent seen much info saying how it being down there helps so I dont think its worth the money to move it
                    You've seen nothing on cooler air making more power??
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      You've seen nothing on cooler air making more power??
                      Didn't you know increasing recirculated exhaust gasses up your HP by like 99999?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

hahahahaha

why do the mod then? If you REALLY don't want to move it, then seal off that part of the engine to keep it from suckin hot air. heres a secret: cool air = denser air= more oxygen per unit volume = more ponies. Don't drive in deep puddles though.

Comment

if the filter is right behind the headlights wont that get pretty wet if you were driving in the rain on the hightway?

Comment

ok yes we all know that cooler air helps. What I was saying was for my set up, stock engine its not really going to do all that much moving it a foot down, same engine compartment just a foot lower, still going to get the same air as it would where its at now.

The reason I did the mod was to see if I could get some better gas mileage since the stock intake on the car was restrictive. I wasnt trying for power.

Comment

ok yes we all know that cooler air helps. What I was saying was for my set up, stock engine its not really going to do all that much moving it a foot down, same engine compartment just a foot lower, still going to get the same air as it would where its at now.

The reason I did the mod was to see if I could get some better gas mileage since the stock intake on the car was restrictive. I wasnt trying for power.
                              Most of the aftermarket CAIs come with a blockoff plate. The filter get's positioned down into the fender well (right below you have yours) and then the plate goes over that big whole and the tubing goes through it. This way, only cool air gets into the filter. Plus, the bottom plastic pieces have "fins" to direct air up into that area, so it would be forcing cooler air into that area as you drive. Yours would be fine where it as, but it does have the possibility of sucking in warm air. If you could block it off somehow so it only draws from the air coming through the headlights, then you'd have a good intake. And for the most part, more power=better gas mileage. Increasing the air and fuel intake lowers the amount required for daily driving. If you keep the same driving conditions and did full exhaust and an intake, you'd see better mileage. Some people just assume it takes away mileage, because they can't keep their foot out of the floor now :P
                              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X