Used Magnaflow Catback install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Magnaflow Catback install

Hi, I recently purchased a used catback, and am not sure on the install. The tubing was cut for shipment, and I'm wondering if welding is involved to join those pieces again. Are spot welds required, or should I fit a metal sleeve over the two ends?

Do I lose anything with this approach vs a new catback?

Re: Used Magnaflow Catback install

from what ive heard. most people put it together with exhaust clamps, then drive it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it together.

Comment

Sense its cut prior you will probably need to just take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it all in.
      Originally posted by kala
      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
      parting her out

Comment

K, thanks...my visit is schedule for this Saturday, and I'll let yall know how it goes. They did raise some concerns that they may not be able to reach...or weld all around the pipes. That sounds like a valid concern.

Have you guys encountered that?

Comment

Originally posted by prevarications View Post
          K, thanks...my visit is schedule for this Saturday, and I'll let yall know how it goes. They did raise some concerns that they may not be able to reach...or weld all around the pipes. That sounds like a valid concern.

Have you guys encountered that?
          They could just weld it back into one piece before they installed it

TEAM BLACK!!!
          parting her out

Comment

Oh, that's an idea. Thanks bro!

Comment

the shop should probably test fit it, spot weld it, then drop it again to finish the welding.

Comment

to get the pieces together at there best, you should have a shop hook it up. if i am assuming correctly that the pipes were just cut off and they dont "slip" together, the shop should be able to hook something up, where you can get the job done right.

so basically with all that nonsense... take it to a pro exhuast shop
                Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I have an appt with Meineke on Sat...they last quoted about $100 for the install. Is that a fair price?

Comment

seems about right, I was charged 50 to have just a cat welded in

TEAM BLACK!!!
                    parting her out

Comment

Is this your first mod to the car?

Comment

Yes, it is my first mod...I'll have a 32mm front sway bar going in at the same time, along with a 180 degree stat. I have the FTRA kit, but wanted someone other than Meineke for the install, in hopes that they'll be more meticulous and careful with it.

I had an 85 Iroc, and the only thing I really missed was the sound of its exhaust. It had the 305 TPI, and came with a performance exhaust...not sure if it was a catback or just the muffler.

Comment

The addiction to modding these 6ers has just begun with you. If you get the chance post a clip once the exhaust is installed in the exhaust soundclip thread. I know I'm not the only one on here wanting to hear that beast roar. :tup:

Comment

You got it! I'm really grateful with the support I've gotten from this forum. I bought this catback from a member here (Kal-El), and he actually shrink wrapped the shiny muffler, to avoid scratches. Not to mention fabricating the box to stuff it in, such that it looked like a one piece unit from the inside.

Thanks again!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X