Air silencer drivin me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air silencer drivin me crazy

So I spent a good portion of my time this weekend trying to get rid of my air silencer once and for all, but I'm running into issues. I looked at this thread http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=69635&highlight=removing+air+sile ncer and this guy seems to have the right idea with the pvc couplers, but I told my dad was I was planning and he told me never to but pvc in my car. He has a good point, pvc is a thermoplastic so eventually it will warp, especially since its connected to the tb (mine gets hot as ****) and the last thing I want is little bits of pvc in my engine. ABS plastic would work, but I'm not sure where to get it. I've also seen people use silicone sleeves (which is genius because it has insulating properties as well) but have never seen any at home depot...

thoughts?

By way, I put a k&n in yesterday, but haven't had much chance to drive it, I don't think I'll notice much difference though until I take out the silencer because my hose have holes in them- my engine is getting too much flow, the unfiltered kind. Bleh.

Re: Air silencer drivin me crazy

there should be a rubber gasket between the pcv and your TB, that should difuse a good amount of heat.

Comment

Do you have a 98 or what? If you have 99+ then all you need is a 3x3 coupler from lowes and you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
        So I spent a good portion of my time this weekend trying to get rid of my air silencer once and for all, but I'm running into issues. I looked at this thread http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=69635&highlight=removing+air+sile ncer and this guy seems to have the right idea with the pvc couplers, but I told my dad was I was planning and he told me never to but pvc in my car. He has a good point, pvc is a thermoplastic so eventually it will warp, especially since its connected to the tb (mine gets hot as ****) and the last thing I want is little bits of pvc in my engine. ABS plastic would work, but I'm not sure where to get it. I've also seen people use silicone sleeves (which is genius because it has insulating properties as well) but have never seen any at home depot...

First thing, never tell your parents what you're planning to do to your car...anyways, it's not connected directly to the TB; there should be a rubber collar between the two. Thusly, the piping won't melt..I had a PVC connector in my car for well over a year, and it never turned to puddy(which sounds like the fear that you're envisioning). If you're so scared of using PVC, then use some dryer ducting.

By way, I put a k&n in yesterday, but haven't had much chance to drive it, I don't think I'll notice much difference though until I take out the silencer because my hose have holes in them- my engine is getting too much flow, the unfiltered kind. Bleh.
        What hose are you talking about?

Comment

hose from the lid to the silencer and the hose from the silencer to the tb.

Comment

you mean the rubber collars?

Comment

yes. I just patched any holes I found with electrical tape. looks ghetto though...

Comment

hey i dont want to be an a hole but you never mentioned what year your car was that will help alot

Comment

Originally posted by 98StealthBird View Post
                  hey i dont want to be an a hole but you never mentioned what year your car was that will help alot

I'm still against putting pvc on there. It works great as long as all conditions are normal, but suppose my radiator starts overheating or something? it will do double the damage.

Comment

I'm still against putting pvc on there. It works great as long as all conditions are normal, but suppose my radiator starts overheating or something? it will do double the damage.
                    If your radiator starts overheating, this should be the least of your worries. Many people have done it before with minimal to no problems. If you follow what's on that page, and listen to the advice of fellow members, it should be fine. If not, then we can address it if problems occur.

You're always taking a chance for something to go wrong every time you pop the hood and poke around. So don't worry so much about it and just do it. You'll be pleased with the results.

:)
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

just do it !!!!
                      if no one else has had problems then you shouldn t either

Comment

If your radiator overheats, I think you have worse problems then warm air going into the intake.....
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                          If your radiator overheats, I think you have worse problems then warm air going into the intake.....
                          haha I meant like melted bits of plastic going in my engine.

anyway, might as well look for an alternative before I give up and use pvc... Ill try home depot when I can

Comment

I got rid of my silencer also, but I found this rubber coupler at a local hardware store. I guess it works, accept I don't notice any difference in sound from when I had the silencer on. Some people said because the rubber was thick, but I am soon getting a whisper lid, so meh. But this has been on my car for almost a year and no problems at all.

2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

I'm still against putting pvc on there.
                              then leave it alone if you're so scared.
                              It works great as long as all conditions are normal, but suppose my radiator starts overheating or something? it will do double the damage.
                              two times zero is still zero...Even if the radiator overheats (never mind the fact that the radiator doesn't generate heat in the same manner the engine does), the PVC would have to be in direct contact with the radiator to cause damage. And guess what. It's not.
                              haha I meant like melted bits of plastic going in my engine.
                              The only way it's going to melt is if your car is on fire. And has been on fire for at least a half hour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X