Just a thought- EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought- EGR

I've never heard anything like this before but I was thinking the other day...

With some sort of manual control the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) could probably be used to control air/fuel mixtures. A manual switch on the valves wouldn't be a difficult thing to wire.

Maybe you could even unload cold air, superchargers, nitrous, or something into there. Seems like this little tube could be the start of a major mod into the intake manifold.

Anybody ever read/see anything like this?
    Is it practical?

Just some thoughts

Re: Just a thought- EGR

Impractical seeing as everything you mentioned is already governed by something else. And having something as innacurate as a switch to open the egr valve after sensors that read incomming air for AFR would result in a very unbalanced burn probably very lean. We already have sensors to determine how much fuel to put into our cylinder heads. It's just getting them to read the mods we've done is the trick. Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about because I have no idea. I've just got my copy of HP tuners and it's a whole other aspect of our cars that I have just started learning.. BTW the EGR is good for burning more exhaust gasses for a cleaner environment and heating the air comming into our cylinders. It's also good for deleting.
    Last edited by Blizzard242; 03-08-2008, 02:49 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

You both need to read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGR_valve
      sigpic

Comment

So where was I off at? Yeah I didn't cover everything but what was wrong about what I said?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Im interested in the part about the variable geometric turbocharger. Ill search around and tell you what I find.

also what about routing the nitrous through there- you could make a damp (not wet, not dry) system that would either be amazing or not work at all

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
            BTW the EGR is good for burning more exhaust gasses for a cleaner environment.

Exhaust gases are inert. The don't support combustion. The EGR simply reduces the amount of combustible material in the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures and reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions.
            sigpic

Comment

hmmm
              looks like the egr might be useful to help regulate backpressure in a turbo.
              Otherwise...not too useful

I did see the one thing where this guy bubbled his egr though water and it picked up humidity, getting like 10mpg more on a Naturally aspirated RV. Haha. Kinda cool, but not exactly a performance mod.

and about deleting, the more I read about it, the less I think it makes sense to do it. The PCM relies on it a bit (obviously you can tune it out, but...why) and it actually is beneficial to power on a lot of cars, though maybe not ours.

Also I got to pass emissions test in June, not possible without egr. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                Exhaust gases are inert. The don't support combustion. The EGR simply reduces the amount of combustible material in the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures and reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions.
                Ah yes, you are right. But I was only partially wrong :-p Lowering the combustion temperatures in the cylinders does demote the creation of NOx emissions but I hadn't known that till I read a bit of an article. I had just assumed it recycled exhaust gases to burn any unburnt fuel assuming that was what made cleaner emissions. Either way, it's something for the environment. Unless it's also to keep the cylinder heads integrity by keeping a cooler burning fuel as well. I had no idea emissions had anything to do with the burn temperature though. Don't get me wrong though I totally appreciate anything anyone can teach me. I wish I had the same line of thinking as when I was still in school.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X