Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open headers

hey guy,
    i have a question wat are open headers and can i put it on my v6 bird?
    thanks

Re: open headers

Dude, Open headers are just headers that dont have anything hooked to them, for example a muffler or cat. The are just headers left "open". So, yeah you could put headers on your bird.

Comment

Look at my thread on the same page about Open Y-Pipe. It is basicly open headers. The only difference is there is the y-pipe connecting both headers to one outlet where it is suppoed to go into the cat... but in the case of it being open, it is wide open.

Here is a video of open y-pipe. It is NOT FUN TO DRIVE. Sounds amazing... but try driving it, and it is retarded loud. Not fun loud, I like loud.. this is cops on your *** loud.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBW42rdHwE0

Comment

not to mention that since youd probably be getting some sort of mid tube header you could get feedback through them and crack your heads. but i guess thats not a big deal.

my buddy with his Z thought he was smart romping around with shorty's on his LT1 and cracked a head. i laughed at him, but then he explained to me that he didnt care cuz he was just going to get new and better ones for it.

Comment

thats it i talked to sum guy and he made it sound so complicated he was a dumbass. from the vid it sounded annoying loud. thanks for the help guys

Comment

you will slaped with a ticket very fast.
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Good choice. It is far past annoying loud. Any throttle.. anything other than idle, and you can't hear yourself talk. Everything in the car is rattling... that that's at 1.5krpm. You can see people eight cars infront of you start rolling up their windows in a desperate attempt to shut it out. People next to you don't dare make eye contact... list goes on.

Good choice not to run them, you would immediately smile on idle the biggest grin you have. But then once she starts moving you're going to look every direction at once for any cops within a block either way, while you make a mad dash to the part store to fix it. That's how it went for me anyway.

Comment

i had to drive my car to the exhaust shop with open Y-pipe for them to 3" the rest of the way. it sounds amazing when you fire it up and pull it out on the road, but once you throttle up to 2500rpms it gets annoyingly loud, and drones on the highway so bad... everything possible rattles in the car too haha. but in my garage slow revving up to ~4000 sounded amazing.... best sound my ears have ever heard

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Originally posted by Taheen View Post
                  Look at my thread on the same page about Open Y-Pipe. It is basicly open headers. The only difference is there is the y-pipe connecting both headers to one outlet where it is suppoed to go into the cat... but in the case of it being open, it is wide open.

Here is a video of open y-pipe. It is NOT FUN TO DRIVE. Sounds amazing... but try driving it, and it is retarded loud. Not fun loud, I like loud.. this is cops on your *** loud.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBW42rdHwE0
                  IS A CUTOUT THE SAME THING, IF NOT, PLZ ELABORATE

Comment

no the cut out will pretty much just make it louder, headers will make it louder too but those will increase power alot more than a cut out would. you probably wont like driving around all day with the cut out open its pretty loud and will probably rattle stuff like open headers... i dont use one so i dont know for sure. i just put a flow cat back on mine and it sounds great and doesnt get annoying. it mellows out if your not on it hard. i remember driving my eclipse around with and open header. my pipe broke off at the cat and ran straight out for a couple days. when it happened i thought i broke something because everything rattled so hard under throttle. the power was horrable until 3500 and then it would take off pretty hard but it sounded like a dirt bike..... glad i put the 4 cyl. days behind me.

Comment

lol thnx for the info....but then wats an open y-pipe???? yea i just have 3" straights on mine, need some mufflers to take out that wining sound it makes around 3000-4000 RPM

Comment

Ugh. Yeah depending on where you install the cutout it can be like an open Y-pipe. That is if you have it open all the way and installed before your cat. Some people keep them halfway open. I'm going to get one to use at the track cause im going turbo and turbos like to flow so I hear. But it will be convenient for me to use for my drive to the track where I can close it halfway or fully so that the exhaust runs through my muffler and I won't get a ticket or annoyed. Get the idea?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          Ugh. Yeah depending on where you install the cutout it can be like an open Y-pipe. That is if you have it open all the way and installed before your cat. Some people keep them halfway open. I'm going to get one to use at the track cause im going turbo and turbos like to flow so I hear. But it will be convenient for me to use for my drive to the track where I can close it halfway or fully so that the exhaust runs through my muffler and I won't get a ticket or annoyed. Get the idea?
                          got it, can be opened or closed by a switch which controls the exhaust flow from going out through the cutout or through exhaust system which would keep it quieter than the cutout and the cutout gets the exhaust out quicker cuz its right next to the headers...ive heard and seen them b4 but never knew if their was a relationship between the two....thnx cleared that up

Comment

Heya you catch on quick.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X