Better way to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better way to go

Would it be better to buy a full catback system, or just buy a muffler and have it welded onto the current piping? I drive a 3.8L. How much of a difference would .25 of an inch on the piping make?
    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Re: Better way to go

If you're going to do modifications to the intake side of the motor I'd go with the cat back especially for a 3.8. They have a pretty good breathing potential. I put CAI and 2.5" catback on my 3.4 and noticed the difference. Keep in mind the engine will only flow as much as its smallest restriction. So if you open up the intake don't expect to see much until you open up the exhaust and vice versa. But don't overdo it. The engine does need back pressure to make torque, if you put a 3.5" exhaust on it'll run great between 4000 and 6000rpm but it'll have a hell of a time getting off the line.

Comment

Hmm, I am planning on getting a whisper lid and I already have a K&N filter. Are you talking about the SLP CIA or the K&N kit that retails for $300? I dont know if I want to mod the intake more than what I have. Are you saying if I don't mod the intake then modding the exhaust isn't worth it? I've read that whole thread about backpressure and I kind of understand it. Would it be smart to go with a 2.5" catback? The stock pipes are 2.25" correct?
      2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

yeah, stock pipes are 2.25". I would advise a 2.5" magnaflow catback. I love the sound of magnaflows, and 2.5" is perfect for the performance minded naturally aspirated 3.8. if you do the math, the area of 2.25" is a full square inch less than 2.5". if you take a look at your stock pipe you'll see how small 2.25" is. then after that its time to think about headers :naughty:
        Last edited by 99BlackW68; 02-08-2008, 12:25 AM.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Originally posted by 99BlackW68
          yeah, stock pipes are 2.25". I would advise a 2.5" magnaflow catback. I love the sound of magnaflows, and 2.5" is perfect for the performance minded naturally aspirated 3.8. if you do the math, the area of 2.25" is a full square inch less than 2.5". if you take a look at your stock pipe you'll see how small 2.25" is. then after that its time to think about headers :naughty:
          If your planning on headers go with the 3" LS1 catback. The y pipe off the headers is 3". No it will not kill low end torque.
          sigpic

Comment

exhaust tips help the sound a little; especially at idle. I went with 3.5" tips for a while then to 4" hooker tips w/ resonators. generally the bigger the pipe the lower the note.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23
              exhaust tips help the sound a little; especially at idle. I went with 3.5" tips for a while then to 4" hooker tips w/ resonators. generally the bigger the pipe the lower the note.

Hmmm yea i was planning on getting some nice tips. Which exactly do you suggest? I was thinking the double style since I drive a Firebird, but then again the outlets for those tips are quite small.

I am pretty sure I won't be modding the headers at this time, due to lack of money/time. So going with a 2.5" Magnaflow catback is smart? I'm trying to figure out my best bang for buck.
              2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider
                I am pretty sure I won't be modding the headers at this time, due to lack of money/time. So going with a 2.5" Magnaflow catback is smart? I'm trying to figure out my best bang for buck.
                the best "bank for buck" is still going to be 3", considering the cost difference b/t a 2.5" catback and 3" are insignificant compared to the gains. Also, later down the road if you get headers, you won't have to upgrade your catback again

Comment

saw these tips on jegs.com part # 520-21431 has resonators # 520-21433 w/o resonators. hookers with dual 3" outlets

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23
                    saw these tips on jegs.com part # 520-21431 has resonators # 520-21433 w/o resonators. hookers with dual 3" outlets

I like them, the price they list is for one tip or both?
                    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X