header purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header purchase

Ok, I finally have enough $$$ to purchase some headers for my 1997 3.8 camaro, but i'm in a quandry as to which ones to buy. I've heard about the pacesetter headers leaking a good amount and that the RKSport ones are better, but I've heard nothing but praises for the CIA headers. Thing is, they're for 1998+. I've read they'll work on the 1997 with some modifications, like splitting/something to do with the AC lines i think...? Either way I definitely plan on spending the extra $50 for those locking bolts for the headers.

When I put the headers on I also plan on getting the cat removed (since in FL they don't check emissions :rolleyes:), but i've heard diff things about that... One thing I know is I have to get an O2 sim, or somethign like that, if I remove the cat or get a highflow cat. I'm also getting a wideband O2 sensor so I can tune the car better with HPTuners.

So, if the questions weren't clear in the above type:
    1) I prefer to go with the Clear Image headers, but how much modification are we talking to get them to fit? I mean, I can do some rerouting if needed, but if it's like total reconstruction, ehhh...not quite to that level yet.
    2) If I decide to not go with CIA,which headers are better: RKSport or Pacesetter?
    3) Advice on getting rid of the cat? (including the part about the O2 sim)
    4) Are all gaskets created equal, or should I just order pacesetter's gasket?
    Last edited by runtwrestlin; 01-22-2008, 03:15 PM.

Re: header purchase

I replaced my cat with a highflow spun carsound cat, blew the damn thing out in like five months, it worked out for the better cause i was going to get rid of it , anyways got the o2 sim it works, end of story, the gasket thing in my opinion is just making sure they are prepared well before installation, i think that it helps. Thats just my opinion though. I would go pacesetter, if you really have the cash look into dawsonracingheaders.com
    Last edited by 00delbz; 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

rk sport are garbage, pacesetter is much better, gaskets, i belive you want abott racing

Comment

Go with FFF longtube headers. They own all!! $850 for the headers and ypipe :)

Otherwise pacesetters are just fine. Get abbott header gaskets and leaks are not a problem
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

K, jsut did some more research and found that FirebirdGT said you have to splice the old style tubing to fit with teh newer style tubing. And Schlotskey (sorry for the name butchery) said he was just careful and bent them out of the way (who i know has a 1997).

But now this......

Originally posted by 97rs4life
          Go with FFF longtube headers. They own all!! $850 for the headers and ypipe :)
          Are they seriously a couple hundred dollars better than the CIA headers??? And I'm assuming you have these, or are you on the list of 10 ppl (read that on fullthrottlev6) and jsut tryin to get more to sign up? I mean, when you post things I tend to take it as bein near Gospel, and even though taht's a bit more $ than what i wanted to spend on just the headers & y-pipe, if it really makes that much of a difference, eh...i think i can survive the lightness of the bank account.

Comment

just go with pacesetter if you're on a budget. i've had them for a few different cars and never had any problems. wait off on those long tubes until we see some real numbers from them. no sense in wasting $850.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
              just go with pacesetter if you're on a budget. i've had them for a few different cars and never had any problems. wait off on those long tubes until we see some real numbers from them. no sense in wasting $850.
              we have seen real numbers, and real results. They are better than shorties just like longtubes are way better on v8 cars.

If you are on a budget, pacesetters are just fine for a DD car and mildly modded car. LTs are for people looking for the most power possible and are going all out.

LTs are going to be the best out there though when it comes for headers for our cars. You will need a way to tune out the EGR though with the LTs as they do not have the provision to hook it up. So hptuners or a sim would be needed

But yea, not all gaskets are equal though, get the abbott ones

Comment

oh and btw, once my engine build is done and all paid, then the LTs will be on their way :) For now the pacesetters will stay on till I pay off the engine build completely

Comment

many times people actually lose peak hp and torque with long tubes. they do give a nice wide power band though. I'm sure they would be great for automatics w/ higher gearing.

Comment

I have no issues with the Pace Setters on my car. Leaks or otherwise. Keep in mind the Y pipe with them is 3" and the stock exhaust is 2 1/4.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I think i'll jsut go with the Pace Setter headers. The car is a daily driver and although the longtube headers seem like they'd be verrrrry nice, i don't think they mean that much to me. I dunno though.... i'll decide by the end of the week. Thanks for all the info, and i'll def post a vid/sound clip when i get the headers on.

Comment

i have a 96' camaro and never found a o2 sim that would work on my car.
                        i gave up looking some time ago though.
                        someone could probably wire something up on their own, but i dont have the know-how

Comment

A stock car with flowmaster... how much hp gains are we lookin with pacesetters?

Comment

Originally posted by runtwrestlin
                            Are they seriously a couple hundred dollars better than the CIA headers??? And I'm assuming you have these, or are you on the list of 10 ppl (read that on fullthrottlev6) and jsut tryin to get more to sign up? I mean, when you post things I tend to take it as bein near Gospel, and even though taht's a bit more $ than what i wanted to spend on just the headers & y-pipe, if it really makes that much of a difference, eh...i think i can survive the lightness of the bank account.
                            Remember, the cat for sure CAN NOT be used with these headers.
                            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                              Remember, the cat for sure CAN NOT be used with these headers.
                              That's definately fine with me. I planned on removing it anyway. I have HPTuners so I can tune out the EGR.

So yea, I've decided to splurge and go with the longtube headers. I mean, it's only money right???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X