In need of exhaust advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of exhaust advice.

Hi all, sorry for yet another stupid question. I'm doing the entire exhaust on a 1998 Firebird, and have ended up a bit confused. I'm using Pacesetter headers and the Magnaflow 2.5" catback, but I have two questions regarding piping and hiflow catalytic if anyone has a moment?

1. I've ended up extremely confused on Hiflow cats. Too many models. Is this the model I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140124365178

Any help is *extremely* appriciated, as I really haven't been able to figure this out.

2. Do I need additional pipes like the S-pipe I see mentioned here? The mechanic who's doing the work said that all I needed was the Headers, Cat, and Catback, but he didn't sound certain and I don't want to find he was missing something and used poor quality parts to make it up.

Thank you *very* much for any time spent helping me, I really did try the search and faq's but ended up more confused!

Re: In need of exhaust advice.

I'd personally go with a 3" high flow cat though the one you listed should work. As for the s-pipe, you will need one unless the magnaflow catback comes with one (not sure if it does but it might) check the website you're going to buy it from and it should say.

Comment

yeah, that cat works.
      2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
      2006 S60- Sold
      2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

The Pacesetters Y pipe is 3" . I would use the 3" high flow cat and you will need a S pipe to go from the CAT to the Cat back. You will also need to reduce the pipe from 3" to 2 1/2 to connect it to the 2 1/2 cat back. The stock S pipe is only 2 1/4.

Brian
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your help!

One final question, this is the Magnaflow set that I'm looking at, is that the S-pipe I need in the top center?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=271

Comment

Yes , it looks to be. Looks as if it is made to connect to a ball flange. That pipe would be made to fit the 97 down cars. Your installer may be able to use it on your 98. It would be best to show him what you have or want to do and let him chose.

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you bigbrian.

Are you certain about that ball flange? The product specs on that page say 98-02.

I've already brought my installer the printouts on what I was planning on using, but he didn't sound as confident as I would've liked that everything I needed was there, so that's why I decided to ask here. Figured this would be the best place for good answers about my car.

Don't get me wrong, the people are good guys and do good work. I've known one since highschool, but no one can know everything so I figured I'd double check here while I was asking about the Catalytic.

Comment

If you look at the "install sheet" link on the link you posted, step 2 says not to use the new S pipe on 98 and up cars, the stock one is welded to the converter. There is also the outer flange for ball flange between the two rubber hangers at the top of where the hardware is pictured. If your replacing the converter you would need to find a way to make it work. You may also need to have an O2 bung added to it for the post cat O2 sensor, I didn't see one in the new S pipe in the picture, but you only see one side of the pipe. Also the carsound converter is a good bit shorter than the stock converter, that would leave room for the reducer from 3"-2 1/2" for the S pipe.

Brian
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X