1 1/4 or 1/34 headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/4 or 1/34 headers?

im leaning more to pacesetter, but then i saw that the rk sport headers had 1 3/4 inch piping on the header, compared to the 1 1/4 inch on the pace setter.

which one would i get more power from? and second most of all, which one would produce a better sound?

i hav 3inch piping back already to a delta flowmaster super 40

plz help thnx

Re: 1 1/4 or 1/34 headers?

think of an exhaust system like you bowel movements. You with me here? ok.... if your intestines arent big enough you'll be constipated, nobody wants that, restricts flow, makes it come out all hard and painful. On the other hand if your pipes are too wide you'll get explosive diarreha, which nobody wants.

to sum this up, if your pipes are too small (stock manifolds) your constipated. But if you pipes are too big then you will have diarreaha of the explosive nature. What i'm saying doesn't actually make any sense, so completely disregard it. I say go with the cheaper set. :tup:

Comment

I have the RK sports I like them. No problems in 8 years. The only thing you need to do is have 3 bolt flanges put on instead of the 2 bolt, trust me it will fix the leaks you hear about from the RK's. Or you could go with CIA witch someone just posted some pics and they come with 3 bolt flanges. Just do searches on them, but sometimes cheapest is not the best.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I think this is similar to an exhaust piping thread that was posted a couple of months ago.

Smaller piping = less volume of exhaust but higher gas velocity through the pipes.

Larger piping = more volume of exhaust but slower velocity through the pipes.

Also, you can go into the whole temperature of the exhaust and how that effects the velocity of the exhaust through the pipe and so forth. A larger pipe will have slower exhaust velocity so it cools down quicker than a smaller pipe would. When looking at exhaust pipes, think exhaust velocity through the pipe, not "backpressure".

Comment

Why the hell would you even consider 1 1/4" primary headers?

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
            Why the hell would you even consider 1 1/4" primary headers?
            Who knows, I like my RK's , since a run a bigger cam, VS cam 206/216 115LS, really flows well in the upper rpms. Also is really mean on the nitrous.LOL
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i think you are confused. both the pacesetter and CIA headers are 1-1/2" and the rksport are 1-3/4".

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
                Who knows, I like my RK's , since a run a bigger cam, VS cam 206/216 115LS, really flows well in the upper rpms. Also is really mean on the nitrous.LOL
                My point was 1 1/4" is teeny tiny. Close to stock at least. Voodoo is right, I think the smallest aftermarket headers for these cars are 1 1/2".

Comment

The larger diameter primary tube will shift the torque curve up in the RPM band the same way a larger cam does. If you plan on keeping the stock cam stick with the 1 1/2" headers.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Primary Sizing

Stock Tubulars are just under 1.25"
                    CIA 1.5"
                    Pacesetter 1.75"
                    RKSport 1.75"

Comment

Pacesetters for the 3.8 have 1 1/2" primary tubes.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/camaro.php

Brian
                      sigpic

Comment

You're right. I pulled that info from an old post. I guess it's possible the design changed, but I would guess the initial info was wrong because they are in fact 1.5"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X