header install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header install question

ok so im doing the install tomaro, and im deleting the cat. my dad doesnt feel like doing any welding...so im asking if using exhaust clamps instead of welding is fine. i seem to remember hearing that clamps leak ect. so i need opinions from you guys on exhaust clamps. thanks

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Re: header install question

band clamps would be fine to hold everything together until you're able to get to an exhaust shop for them to weld everything up

Comment

i got some clamps holdin my cat to y pipe, would i be better off havin it welded?

Comment

yes you would be

Comment

would strong exhaust clamps be a fine permanent solution?

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

no, but a $10 band clamp and a $10 weld would be

Comment

Until they fall off. :)

Go to a local muffler shop and offer someone $30-50 (cash) to weld the whole thing up. Most of them would be happy to oblige.

Comment

Just out of curiosity (and since I will be going this route before too much longer, too) would it be a better idea to just soak the bolt in PB Blaster and take it off with a pair of vice grips before it breaks off? I'm really not looking forward to that bolt because I've heard the horror stories.
                2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

soaking the bolt is what you want to do. using vice-grips on it before it breaks is pointless; the result would be the same if you used a socket or vicegrips.

Comment

Drat. I was afraid you'd say that. It's just kinda the luck of the draw, huh? I guess some people have had good luck getting them off the first time. My car is garage kept, at home and at work. I'm hoping driving it in snowy weather and on salt-encrusted roads several times to get to ski resorts haven't made those bolts retarded to get off!
                    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

obviously welding is the best and you'll never have to worry about it, but i've also never had a clamp come off. i actually like to use a lap joint band clamp for the over axle pipe so i can remove the rear section if I want.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X