header install driving me crazy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: header install driving me crazy!!!

Yeah I plan to lube my header bolts a few times in the weeks before the swap. I don't drive that car so eh, seems like a good idea. I hate broken bolts very much.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

well i tried to get that bolt out but no luck so if it leads to problems l8r on then so be it, ill deal with it then, do yall think the egr code i got can be fixed by putting the egr gasket on and tightening it? o and i still havent had that o2 sensor after the cat give me a code yet. by the way i dont have, and dont want to get hptuners so im getting a hypertech power programmer 3, do yall think thatll conflict with the exhaust at all on premium fuel tuning? (plz dont tell me to get a mail order tune, i dont want to send my pcm away in the mail, this is my DD and i dont have the time to wait for the mail)

Comment

By all means fix the EGR. It might clear that code. A hypertec programmer is what $330? The lower cost version of HPtuners is $499 and does tons more. If your going to do any more mods your going to need the HPtuners. You can get rid of the EGR code with HP as well. You would have to drive the car for a week or two before O2 flags the CAT as not being efficient. But then you could disable that code with HPtuners as well.
        I've never been impressed with the Power programmers I have seen my friends buy. One of them didn't pick up 0.001 on his 94 LT1 Z28. It ran identical times with or with out it. There are many people that could help you with HPtuners on this board and the HPtuners board.

Brian
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I have personal experience with The hypertech power programmer. Dude, I'm telling you this from the bottom of my heart.. You may not want to tune it yourself yet because it seems intimidating and the Power Programmer seems like an easy convenient quick fix. But lemme tell ya, after you start learning more and more you will find a growing need for HPtuners and you'll feel totally idiotic for buying the power programmer. That's exactly what I did. You can't tune out an 02 sensor or EGR code with it. It has set parameters that you get to select a narrow range of changes. I'm not dissing it though because it does exactly as is advertised but alls I'm saying is that you WILL eventually regret it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

say what you want about me regretting getting hpp3 it but im not messing with engine internals or going forced induction or nitrous, and i am only doing full bolt ons. (almost finished) its not that im intimidated or anything with tuning, i would just like better than stock tuning, and i live in tallahassee and go to FSU so after the winter break i cant work on my car or anything, so the HPP3 seems to be the best choice for my needs/wants i only wanted to know if i would get a slight increase in horsepower/shift points/rev limiter/speed limiter without conflicting with my full bolt ons. hptuners is a great product, but the money and my goals in the car are not steering toward getting it.

Comment

Just drive it for awhile and make sure you don't start getting "lean exhaust" codes. The Hpp3 can do nothing to help tune those away but HPT can. Also keep in mind that if the PCM is adding say.. 10* more fuel at cruse, its going to add the 10* during Power enrichment mode as well and that can get your air /fuel ratio down to 11 to 1 and that is WAY to rich for max power. Fuel trims range from -20 to +20. Perfect is 0. My fuel trims were at +16 just from adding the headers and 3" exhaust. If they made it to +20 I would have gotten the lean exhaust code. Just make sure your not getting that code before you spend the money on something that can't help you correct it.

Brian
              sigpic

Comment

If you're worried about money don't get the hpp3. The only driving difference it can make that you'll notice is the shift firmness. It's "power tune" or whatever it's called after their long and tough dyno runs is bullcrap. Every car unless its completely stock.. maybe not even then, but every car is gonna need a different tune. I'm telling you from first hand experience trying to help but yes in the end you do make your own choices. I'd rather keep my stock tuning than spend 300 for a hpp3 which I regret doing so.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

How much of the broken bolt is sticking out? If it broke off in the block I can see why it's so bad, but if just the head broke off you can dremel the sides of the bolt like the end of a straight slot screwdriver. Use vice grips on the notched bolt. It's a lot easier than trying to grip a round bolt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X