my intake alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my intake alternative

made myself a cold air induction kit out of flextube and 3 " universal intake tubing, and filter. all were bought from auto zone, cost me like 55 bucks total. and lemme say.. it works GREAT! i could really feel a nice little increase in horsepower. Hopefully ill get a k&n cone filter to replace the cone filter i have sometime soon. The flextube goes strait to the filter from the back of the folglight opening to make a nice little ram air setup. Just thought id share it because i haven't really seen anyone else make a setup quite like this for a 98+, and maybe it will be a cheaper and just as effective alternative to buying the FIPK or whisper lid/SSRA. only drawback i can see about the setup is that its right near the radiator, so that might heat up a little air next to the filter, but the ram air should even that out.

(also added a few pics of my new halos for kicks, they look so sweet !)

feel free to comment or give advice or question me about the setup. Hope this inspires a few people to do what i did and save a few bucks

Last edited by blubbachub; 12-18-2007, 12:00 AM.

Re: my intake alternative

why do that and hurt performance when you could have shaved the lid and put in a smooth bellow piece in place of your silencer and seen better gains?

You made a unit that has more bends and distance than you had before. It is cheaper to shave your stock lid and 5 bucks for a pvc coupler.

Cool idea, would be great for the pre98 guys, but with you having the straight tb and lid you are going to see better results staying with the lid setup
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i actually did shave the lid and put a smooth bellow in, but the performance gains from both seem exactly the same, maybe the difference isnt enough to notice, but i just like the look of this intake better than the lid, i guess i just like shiny things lol

Comment

yea it is shiny, but just so you know, gains are not going to be better from doing that. The 55 bucks could have been spent elsewhere where gains would have been had. but to each his own
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blubbachub
          i actually did shave the lid and put a smooth bellow in, but the performance gains from both seem exactly the same, maybe the difference isnt enough to notice, but i just like the look of this intake better than the lid, i guess i just like shiny things lol
          The bend after the flex tubing is what I think would be the biggest thing. Looks like a big change in direction. Everything else looks fine to me. Though the 98+ cars look better with the shaved lid, imo. Either way, shiny things ftw! :D
          Last edited by turbohead2332; 12-18-2007, 12:54 AM.
          Originally posted by LETZRIDE
          I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

i like turtles

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
              i like turtles
              i like guinea pigs and i dont know why

Comment

never seen that youtube video?

search "i like turtles"

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                  why do that and hurt performance when you could have shaved the lid and put in a smooth bellow piece in place of your silencer and seen better gains?

You made a unit that has more bends and distance than you had before. It is cheaper to shave your stock lid and 5 bucks for a pvc coupler.

Cool idea, would be great for the pre98 guys, but with you having the straight tb and lid you are going to see better results staying with the lid setup
                  ^^What he said. Too many turns for the straight tb, and now you have a huge ugly hole where the lid used to be. It takes away from the "cool look" you were going for with the ghetto intake. Now you gotta buy one of those stainless radiator supports to replace its hideousness. More cost to look cool, less money saved from your budget intake.

Comment

Wast of time and money... its still inside the bay and will pull in warmer air. I doubt you felt any increase in hp since the best of the best cai's will not add more than 5 horses
                    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

You might want to cover up that gaping hole above the radiator. It looks like all of the air from the air dam will just go up instead of going through the rad.

Gotta say it looks nice, and I don't think those bends are that bad. I'm wondering if you would have room to put the filter in the stock location if you shave some of the plastic; cut a 'U' shape into it. Depth perception is a little tricky when looking at pictures.

Comment

i was just going to buy a 95-97 radiator cover to repalce mine, so it wont look as ghetto. im gona get 1 from a junkyard or sumtin. and no the filter wouldnt fit anywhere else, already tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
                          never seen that youtube video?

search "i like turtles"

omg, they totally rip into that kid, theres like 10 vids making fun of him!!!

hahah i like turtles too now

Comment

disadvantages compared to a lid-style intake:
                            -bends in your design limit air flow
                            -the end of the intake is in the engine bay, taking in warmer air

There's a reason GM abandoned the snorkel intake design on our cars in 1997.

Comment

So the tube coming out the front of the air filter going to the fog light opening, Does that air even get filtered?

Brian
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X