Redoing my exhaust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redoing my exhaust...

My flowmaster is startin to rust out and rattle more and more... It still sounds great to me most of the time, but I should replace it. I'm thinking of dumping my exhaust before the axle, but I guess im just not sure what kind of muffler to use.

I was thinking of using this
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Its actually a pretty good sounding muffler for our cars, and flows better than most other mufflers. But would that work to have it under the car or would it hang too low?

Edit: I should also note that this is just a cheap temporary fix for me until I start on my true duals next summer. If this sounds good though I may just leave it as is, but I don't want to spend a lot on a muffler right now.
    Last edited by lookout4theyeti; 11-18-2007, 06:59 PM.
    2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Re: Redoing my exhaust...

imo talk to 98 3.8 and ask how the **** he got this sound... sounds bad ***

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2Msn2Ig

"Pacesetter headers, 2.5" H pipe, 2.5" intermediate pipes, 3" Borla XR-1 mufflers, 3" dumps at axle."

Comment

why not just wait till next summer. why waste the money?
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx
        imo talk to 98 3.8 and ask how the **** he got this sound... sounds bad ***

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2Msn2Ig

"Pacesetter headers, 2.5" H pipe, 2.5" intermediate pipes, 3" Borla XR-1 mufflers, 3" dumps at axle."

Yea i've already been pm'ing him for about a week now talking to him about his setup, and hes been helping me plan out what im gonna do, so a lot of thanks to him...

But right now, my flowmaster is about to break off... one of the hangers already snapped for the muffler, the other one is cracked, so i had to re weld both those, and now the hanger i had my exhaust guy put on for the spipe/cat is broke, and thats being supported by that flat reinforcement bar and is rattling like hell... Plus the muffler itself is pretty much rusted, and rattling inside.

I really like the sound of my flowmaster, but it just didn't hold up inside very well, and its so damn heavy.. It really needs to be replaced because I don't know if it will stay on all winter. This is why im just getting the cheap summit muffler, however now im having second thoughts as to whether that will fit under the car or not with enough clearance, so i might have to get a dynomax bullet muffler.
        2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Should have gone Magnaflow, all stainless... =)

I'd say go for the Summit muffler until you can get your build going for the TD setup... as long as you know it can fit.

BTW, the Borla XR-1 teal Camaro does sound pretty bad@$$...

Comment

Originally posted by lookout4theyeti
            Yea i've already been pm'ing him for about a week now talking to him about his setup, and hes been helping me plan out what im gonna do, so a lot of thanks to him...

But right now, my flowmaster is about to break off... one of the hangers already snapped for the muffler, the other one is cracked, so i had to re weld both those, and now the hanger i had my exhaust guy put on for the spipe/cat is broke, and thats being supported by that flat reinforcement bar and is rattling like hell... Plus the muffler itself is pretty much rusted, and rattling inside.

I really like the sound of my flowmaster, but it just didn't hold up inside very well, and its so damn heavy.. It really needs to be replaced because I don't know if it will stay on all winter. This is why im just getting the cheap summit muffler, however now im having second thoughts as to whether that will fit under the car or not with enough clearance, so i might have to get a dynomax bullet muffler.
            Can you tell me what he did, or possibly pm me some of the pm's? I have some money right now and I would like to do a setup exactly like his. I only have an electric cutout right now.

Comment

I'm pretty sure 98 3.8 is getting smothered with questions. Try your own thing and design something different.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                I'm pretty sure 98 3.8 is getting smothered with questions. Try your own thing and design something different.
                Yea, good idea... no one work off the idea's of one of the best sounding exhaust on a v6 fbody yet :rolleyes:
                2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

i love his exhaust. it sounds great but I definately wouldn't want it.

"It's VERY loud. I have 3.73s so on the highway I'm cruising 80mph at around 3,000rpm. After trips my ears will bleed a little."

Comment

Originally posted by Disruptore4
                    Should have gone Magnaflow, all stainless... =)
                    Yep. Or Borla. Flowmasters rust out from the inside due to condensation.
                    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                      +1, its not like only one setup works to sound good. lots of people on this board all have great sounding cars, and there setups (no matter how similar) are all different.
                      Dave:
                      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

sounds great, but mine rusted out too!!!
                        Last edited by HeadyFirebird'00; 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM.
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Oh boy, this woulda been nice to know before I went and gave them money for a rusting can. Eh at least so far.. mine has been ok. Something is rattling back there I haven't had a chance to look at but I think it's the heat shield. I hope its the heat shield at least.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X