Wobbly unstable flowmaster catback stock hangers - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wobbly unstable flowmaster catback stock hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly unstable flowmaster catback stock hangers

So yeah, I was wondering if there might have been a write up or any simple ideas with stabalizing the flowmaster 80 series catback. That thing is just too loose for me and if I turn hard enough.. which isn't much it bangs against the body. I haven't crawled under it yet trying to figure out a solution so before I do I was just wondering if anyone has already thought about this and came up with anything. And if not lemme know too cause I suppose if a lot of people might have the same problem then I'll do my own write up when I get around to it. The hanger setup is just too wobbly, almost like that rope bridge in The Temple Of Doom. Ya know? Indy?

TEAM C6V6

Re: Wobbly unstable flowmaster catback stock hangers

Check and see if your hangars are loose
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I'm willing to bet that it's a broken hanger on one side...kneel down and take a look, it really isn't that hard. If that's the case, just go to autozone or something and get a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
        I'm willing to bet that it's a broken hanger on one side...kneel down and take a look, it really isn't that hard. If that's the case, just go to autozone or something and get a replacement.
        x2. i had the same problem when i got my car with the stock exhaust system. One tip was lower than the other and it made terrible noises when turning to hard or going over speed bumps
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

None of the hangers are broken, that'd be the first obvious thing that I would look at. It just sways a lot from the rubber brackets. It always has ever since I installed it. I'll do somethin with it, I'm just suprised it's not a common thing since it was installed correctly and nothing is cracked broken or loose.. Besides the whole damn thing being loose.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

No no no, u guys got the wrong idea. i know just what u speak of there blizzy. My shiz has be givin my grief just like u. the first thing i did was unbolt one hanger from a one side. if you look at the metal piece it has a total of three prongs. does it? this is what i did:
            i stretched the rubber piece between two prongs and left one bare. to do this, u have to cut the prong that does not have the stub on its end. cut the prong at an angle just enough to stretch the rubber overe the cut metal prong. then, this can be used to put the exhuast hanger through the open section in the mddle of the rubber hanger, on the bolted hanger. bolt the body hanger back on with the exhuast all ready fitted to be hung by the rubber piece. bolt it back the the car and do the other side.

this worked for me for a while, u might want to try this.
            it worked for a long time until the rubber weakened and just wasnt doing the same effectiveness.
            after a lil over a year, i intalled metal sheet hangers using my welder to stabilize the muffer from bouuncing up and hitting the body.

flowmaster muffler is quite heavy. i hate this frikin muffler. i will never buy one again. mine has already rustyed out inside, and rattles insanley, drives me nucking futs.

Good luck to you
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Just go to a muffler shop and have them weld 2 solid hangers on for you... Probably wouldn't cost you any more than 20 bucks.
              2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by lookout4theyeti
                Just go to a muffler shop and have them weld 2 solid hangers on for you... Probably wouldn't cost you any more than 20 bucks.
                .....x2 keep it simple
                Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Heh, thanks heady. I was hoping someone understood. And as for a muffler shop.. screw that, I can weld. :banana: But I may come up with a cheaper easier solution just to contribute. I'll be able to put my camera to work for a good cause.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

imo i deff wouldn't get it welded. i can't tell you how many times i was doing mods to my car, where i had to drop the exhaust.

i had the same problem, i got 2 new rubber exhaust hangers from gm. i was suprised how worn mine where. took care of my problem.
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
                      imo i deff wouldn't get it welded. i can't tell you how many times i was doing mods to my car, where i had to drop the exhaust.

i had the same problem, i got 2 new rubber exhaust hangers from gm. i was suprised how worn mine where. took care of my problem.
                      Oh no no, im definitely going to make it unmountable if I do weld new brackets.. I've already had problems getting the exhaust unclamped when I needed a few times so I'm not gonna make it any harder than it is.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
                        So yeah, I was wondering if there might have been a write up or any simple ideas with stabalizing the flowmaster 80 series catback. That thing is just too loose for me and if I turn hard enough.. which isn't much it bangs against the body. I haven't crawled under it yet trying to figure out a solution so before I do I was just wondering if anyone has already thought about this and came up with anything. And if not lemme know too cause I suppose if a lot of people might have the same problem then I'll do my own write up when I get around to it. The hanger setup is just too wobbly, almost like that rope bridge in The Temple Of Doom. Ya know? Indy?

Sounds like you have the 98+ hangers, which are JUNK. The 93-97 hangers are completely different, and far better in my opinion.
                        Last edited by FirebirdGT; 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                          Sounds like you have the 98+ hangers, which are JUNK. The 93-97 hangers are completely different.
                          Hmm, that is correct. I do have a 98 I just got for the track but I haven't touched it yet.. maybe I'll take a peek under there and check out that setup for inspiration. Thanks for the heads up. Oh crap.. Never mind duh. 93-97 oops. Yeah, they're crap. But the exhaust won't fall off.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X