replacing the cat with a long red cherry bomb - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing the cat with a long red cherry bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing the cat with a long red cherry bomb

i have one of those long red cherry bomb mufflers..i was thinking of using to replace the cat.. is that bad idea? i'm keeping the rear muffler too. the cherry bomb shouldnt make it too much quieter than having just straight pipe should it? i think my rear muffler is a Dynomax..it sounds like a Flowmaster. should i try the cherry bomb as a straight pipe or just use a regular straight pipe.

Re: replacing the cat with a long red cherry bomb

Dynomax bullets come in shorter sizes and would work in place of the cat.Try the dynomax thrush glasspacks if you want a longer one to put in the i-pipe. They definately help w/ the raspyness.

If your exhaust sounds like a flowmaster, it's probably not a dynomax.

Comment

hmm.. what muffler could i have then? i thought they guy i bought car from said magnaflow or dynomax. does magnaflow sound like flowmaster?

i was only saying a red cherry bomb cuz i already have one. i dont have money to spend on other mufflers/pipes. i got a piece of pipe i'm probably gonna use now anyway. just gonna staight pipe it.

Comment

I did that on a Grand Prix that I owned. I put in a 22" cherry bomb glasspack that was the exact length of my old cat. No cutting or anything. I had a problem before I put it in with my exhaust resonating at about 2,500 RPMs and that took it right out.

Depending on what car you have, you will probably have to get a o2 sim since your old one will start throwing codes because it isn't burning up that unused fuel.
        Last edited by zymose; 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM.
        2000 White Firebird <br />K&N Filter, Aluminum Driveshaft<br /><br />95 White Firebird - Laid to Rest<br />K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Jet Chip

Comment

As for the cherry bomb, just get a high flow cat that will also reduce raspiness/make it sound a little better oh yeah and its 50 state legal.
          Last edited by FirebirdGT; 11-22-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by f-tothe-ill
            get a high flow cat that will also reduce raspiness/make it sound a little better oh yeah and its 50 state legal.
            you mean 49 state legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
              you mean 49 state legal.
              High flows not legal in California?

Comment

Originally posted by f-tothe-ill
                High flows not legal in California?
                sure aren't

Comment

Hell dude, start trying stuff. Experiment. Actually install it and see. Those cherry bombs aren't expensive.. er.. if im thinking of the same thing, i dunno. But test it out, maybe you'll come up with somethin awesome that no one else has.. Who the hell knows.
                  Last edited by FirebirdGT; 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i did the exhaust today.
                    had to chop a lil bit off the glasspack off, then welded it in the place of the cat. got it on the car..just that without the muffler hooked up sounds pretty nice. i'm still gonna connect the muffler back to the exhaust. only thing that went wrong is my driver side header is leaking smoke.. (i had it off)..so i i'm probably gonna have to take the 4 manifold bolts back off so i can reach the header bolts..and re-tighten them..

Comment

Originally posted by JumpInTheFire.com
                      only thing that went wrong is my driver side header is leaking smoke.. (i had it off)
                      elaborate on that

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                        elaborate on that
                        He has a history of leaking coolant. :banana:

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
                          He has a history of leaking coolant. :banana:
                          if that's the case, tightening the header bolts isn't going to stop a coolant leak

Comment

i'm not positive, but i think its just exhaust fumes coming out of the headers. is that possible? nothing leaked that i know of..so it has to be exhaust fumes. but thats what i was talking about when i said 'leaking smoke'

Comment

Originally posted by JumpInTheFire.com
                              i'm not positive, but i think its just exhaust fumes coming out of the headers. is that possible? nothing leaked that i know of..so it has to be exhaust fumes. but thats what i was talking about when i said 'leaking smoke'
                              What's it smell like? Kinda stingy or kinda sweet? Eh either way, if its tight and its still leaking then a new gasket is in order. Unless... well lets just say its not leaking coolant because you didn't have the actual heads off right?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X