stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalling

Ok well lately i just noticed that my service engine light came on, and now if i push in the clutch on my car for too long (3-5 seconds) the cars rpm's will drop down to nothing and the engine will shut off. I did some searching and it looks like someone posted before that the cause of this is because the catalytic converter is plugged or needs to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so what was wrong?

Re: stalling

well first of all go to a autoparts store and have them scan it for codes. If your service engine light is on, then your car will help you find the problem. It should be free if you go to autozone or advance
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

did it already, they told me that there was 8 different reasons for that code, but the number one was that the catalytic converter was bad. other reasons were miss fired plug, rich air/fuel ratio, and a couple other things that were fine.

Comment

what was the code???
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

the code was i believe p040 or p030, pretty sure it was p040

Comment

po30X is a misfire, there should be another letter at the end of those codes.

Comment

could be your maf. turn everything off, heat , a/c etc. see if it's a little better.
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

well autozone said, misfire, bad emissions, among other things, so they were to helpful, so i checked over all the basics, spark plugs, wires, and everything and everything seems fine, but i'm unsure about the cat, and i don't see how the car would stall out all the time when pushing the clutch in from a misfire spark plug. well i ordered a new high flow cat anyways, because i wanted one, and so tonight i think i'll check over everything again, and disconnect the battery to reset the comp, to see if it throws a code again.

Comment

resetting the comp will only confuse you more... it may throw no codes for awhile and then throw one again.

Comment

well my friend has the scanner for obd II cars, so i'm just gonna borrow it this weekend, look up the code, and then check out the associated parts again, but resetting it will help me, after i install the new cat, and simulator, because if the same code goes off, then i'll know it's not the cat. I'm 98% sure it's the cat, but i'm going to do a full tune of on the car anyways seeing how it has 50k on it now

Comment

definitely shouldnt have a bad cat at 50k... unless your running rich for a long time or your crushed it somehow by bottoming out... it is possible though but i wouldnt be so quick to say its the cat... and before you buy the new cat just remove the old one and try and run it...

Comment

That's what i thought but i've been searching on all of the forums, and this is the best reason i can find. I'm not getting multiple missfires, and i've heard of people having this same problem. Well it will just be a performance upgrade if it's not the problem.

Comment

sounds like a good time for a tuneup! =)

plugs, wires, coils, cat... all those can't hurt to change... had one of my coils go bad a couple months ago, had a bad misfire...

Comment

well here is the outcome...... the cat was clogged bad. So bad that the inner screen was being pulled into the center of cat just from the force of exhaust gasses trying to move through the system. So for all who have these same symptoms for their car. Well thanks everybody for your help and suggestions, even though i fixed my problem, i'm still going to do an overhaul.

Comment

wow.. thats surprising that the cat was clogged... are you running rich?... did the honeycomb inside look cracked or anything? how about the outside of the cat? i just find it really weird that that low amoutn of miles the cat is bad just has me wondering what caused it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X