would it sound horrible if I cut the muffler off? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would it sound horrible if I cut the muffler off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it sound horrible if I cut the muffler off?

i havea 98 firebird 3.8. stock cat..all stock exhaust except the muffler i have. the muffler i have makes my car sound like a honda. so i was thinking of maybe cutting right before the muffler.. maybe cutting out a 4 inch gap. it'd be like having 'turn downs' i suppose. if i dont like it then i'll put a pipe fitting on the gap and weld the pipes back together. i have a 87 5.0 mustang and it has all 4 cats still on but the 2 mufflers replaced with straight pipes and goes to the rear bumper and it sounds mean as hell. i'm just wondering if the firebird would sound the similiar to it.

i cut the muffler off of my old 92 camaro rs 3.4 and it was too loud.
    Last edited by JumpInTheFire.com; 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM.

Re: would it sound horrible if I cut the muffler off?

Yeah, you'd probably think it was too loud. Although, too loud is a matter of opinion.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

get yourself a cut-out. You think the car sounds like a honda now... wait until you hear it with no muffler plus you will draw alot of attention from popo and ricers.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by JumpInTheFire.com
        the muffler i have makes my car sound like a honda. so i was thinking of maybe cutting right before the muffler.. maybe cutting out a 4 inch gap. it'd be like having 'turn downs' i suppose.
        That will make the rasp much worse
        i have a 87 5.0 mustang and it has all 4 cats and and mufflers replaced with straight pipes and goes to the rear bumper and it sounds mean as hell. i'm just wondering if the firebird would sound the similiar to it.
        It will not at all sound like that.

Rasp comes more from your engine rather than your exhaust.

Comment

Well it isn't really "loud"... Idle isn't loud at all, but it's a good sounding idle.

I think having no muffler is good for your fuel economy.. lol not because it does anything special to give you better MPG, but because it doesn't sound good when you slam the gas. It sounds good just cruising, IE you are going like 50 MPH and at a low RPM.

I like the sound... But personally, I have an electric cutout and keep it like 30% open, so it has a really good sound that way.

http://media.putfile.com/My-car-51

There is a video of my exhaust from inside the car.. you can see it's not really that loud at all, and it sounds probably way better than the honda exhaust you have now.. lol

Comment

Yeah that sounds exactly like my car with magnaflow when u floored it at the end......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X