Hacked Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked Intake

I knew the intake that was on the car when I bought it last week was hacked, but I didn't realize just how bad it was until today. I need a new intake bad. This one has what looks like the stock system right off the TB, then has some crap tubing and a filter. The tubing leaks air, and the whole mess is rather unstable. I'll post a pic of the intake after I get my phone fixed later today.

Cheapest SLP CAI I can find is about $300, is that average? I need a new intake, and quick :\

Re: Hacked Intake

What year car? 93-97's aren't expensive. I think I only paid around $170 for the SLP twin filter intake from a non sponsor vendor.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Mine's a '96 Bird.

Comment

I've looked for about 30 minutes, still can't find one for any less than $300 or so.

Comment

you can buy a cheapy from ebay, until you find one cheaper. IMO, since you don't want to spen $300, I'd do thsi for now, to prevent engine damage
          Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

I want to spend $300, but I don't have $300 to spend :P

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceX
              I want to spend $300, but I don't have $300 to spend :P
              Ha, don't we all...

But really, the one's on Ebay are sufficient from what I've heard/read. And considering I have one and love it and haven't had any problems with it, I'd suggest looking for one on Ebay. I picked up my full CAI for I think a lil over $70 shipped and like I said, it works great.When i installed it I noticed an improvement over the stock intake. Not drastic, but then again, it's only an air intake.

Comment

I bought a cai off ebay for my other car and it was great. Cost me 80 bucks and worked perfect. Don't put so much into the intake... as long as it connects to the TB and from the filter with no leaking then you will be fine. Look around on forums and you can find some used ones pretty cheap as well
                Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceX
                  I knew the intake that was on the car when I bought it last week was hacked, but I didn't realize just how bad it was until today. I need a new intake bad. This one has what looks like the stock system right off the TB, then has some crap tubing and a filter. The tubing leaks air, and the whole mess is rather unstable. I'll post a pic of the intake after I get my phone fixed later today.

Cheapest SLP CAI I can find is about $300, is that average? I need a new intake, and quick :\
                  The only 95-97 3800 F-body CAI is the SLP. And they don't come cheap.
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                    The only 95-97 3800 F-body CAI is the SLP. And they don't come cheap.
                    not exactly. you can buy a 1le elbow and use any lt1 / 3.4 intake.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88
                      not exactly. you can buy a 1le elbow and use any lt1 / 3.4 intake.
                      +1 agrred
                      Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

EBay's got a full CAI, but it uses some of the stock components...which are what I'm trying to replace. The SLP CAI connects directly to the TB, correct?

Comment

1. buy the most complete intake ebay cheapo WITH AN K&N FILTER...I bought mine for $75

2. Go to hardware store and buy a rubber elbow to extend the intake into the fenderwell...bought that for under $5

that is a complete intake, that will perform just as good as if not better than SLP for $200+ less...and it looks pretty good too
                          1999 Camaro Z/28
                          1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

The intake already extends into the fenderwell. My problem is the stock components that connect to the throttle body. I need them replaced. It should be possible for me to fab up some stuff to do it, but I want the SLP one so I can have the airflow as smooth as possible...and remove the MAF screen. I'll get a link to the EBay ones and post it.

Comment

Here's the pic of the one off EBay. I went ahead and marked the pieces I need to remove in red. The blue areas are what is leaking on the current stock pieces I have now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X