I want this muffler to work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want this muffler to work!

I was doing some research, I notice some of the v6 Camaros on this forum either have Magnaflow, Flowmaster 80, Borla, etc. I also notice some camaros have either Flowmaster 40 series or super 40.

This is where I come in, for my birthday, my dad decided to buy me a muffler. He bought me a Flowmaster Super 44. Shown here:

Excited as I was, I quickly ran over to the same muffler shop I got my 80 series put in. About 10-15 minutes later, the guy came out to the lobby and asked me to walk out to car and look underneath. He was explaining how the muffler wouldn't sit right and he had to bring out of the pipes behind the muffler (not next to the axle) and claims by the time he gets it done it would sit goofy and won't work. :eek:

If my memory serves right, 40s are the same setup as the 44s, but then I thought maybe because the inlet is offset? I'm thinking I can run it like the Magnaflow setup for there cat-back system, where the passenger side exhaust runs infront of the muffler, next to axle and under the inlet pipe and over.

How do you guys have your exhaust setup for the 40 series?

Re: I want this muffler to work!

I think you need to get a new muffler guy. I have a 99 Firebird with a 40 series on it and it was an easy install. The only issue I have with it is that it sounds a little ricey to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dobie
      I think you need to get a new muffler guy. I have a 99 Firebird with a 40 series on it and it was an easy install. The only issue I have with it is that it sounds a little ricey to me.
      Just called another muffler place, and they said the same thing, adding the fact it would be expensive due to all the custom bending of the pipes.

This is bull****, I'd rather do it myself, but I'm no exhaust mechanic.

Any other ideas?

Comment

run it like the v6 magnaflow exhaust. it's very easy, a 180 and a 90 degree bend an that's it.

Comment

return it and buy an 80 series
          1999 Camaro Z/28
          1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Im Sorry but are you serious? The people u called MUST be freaking idiots or something. I got my muffler put on for 100 dollars even. Thats with three pipes. Two coming out for the exhaust and one going from the muffler to the cat back. I dont understand the people your dealing with. Id keep calling around if i was you. No way it would be that expensive. If worst comes to worst do it your self and save some cash. It might suck bolting it all on but it might be your last bet.

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
              return it and buy an 80 series
              There's an 80 series on my car now, but supposely it came from another car, before I bought it, so it's unknown, it sounds alright, but I was hoping the 44 would sound alittle more better, plus it's the newest muffler from Flowmaster, yes I know..I can look into another products, but this muffler was a gift.

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
              run it like the v6 magnaflow exhaust. it's very easy, a 180 and a 90 degree bend an that's it.
              That's my idea, but where do I get it? Online? I've never really did anything involving exhaust, so excuse my "newbie" like questions

Comment

you can get bends from summit but I would just find a different place to work on your car. look at the picture of the two bends.

Comment

You need a muffler shop that knows what they are doing.

Comment

you can get bends from summit but I would just find a different place to work on your car. look at the picture of the two bends.

I found an 180 degree bend, but is that enough to make that bend, so it doesn't smack into the rear diff. case cover?

I think the only reason why they were complaining about the setup, may be because all the work it would take to get the bend right, and something about how the muffler itself will hang.

Now that I remember, he also said that the inletof the 44 muffler is 3", the stock pipes are around 2.25 or 2.5, so I figure you need a reducer, so I don't understand why that was brought it into consideration when I asked my muffler guy to install it. :rant:

I haven't given up, I'm just looking for options and a place to have it done, don't they want my money??

Comment

I got an idea, take a 180 bend exhaust pipe and take off about 1/2, 3/4, or maybe 1 inch in the middle and have them weld it back together. Here's a crude MSPaint versus of my idea. I think it should be the correct bend so it makes it around the muffler, flush.

Comment

Just do a 2 on the left like a classic SLP
                        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                          Just do a 2 on the left like a classic SLP
                          I like my current setup with a dual exit. It can be done. :tup:

Comment

you don't have to cut that. just find one with a tighter radius bend. look into some of the j-bends.

Comment

you don't have to cut that. just find one with a tighter radius bend. look into some of the j-bends.
                              Got any ideas? J-pipe would work better. I've been looking and I can't find anything with a tighter radius .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X