MAF Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF Screen

I know, I know. You're not supposed to take it off for pre-98 cars. But, I did. I was going to tap my TB for my nitrous nozzle the other day, and realized the only tap that I didn't have was the one I needed (damn 1/16 tap :rant: ). So, I go foraging (sp) in our shed for one. Never found one, then look down and realize I had to be at work in about 20 minutes (15min drive), so I hurried and changed and put the intake back together w/out the MAF screen. I figured I'd have to take it out anyways when I do tap it, so I'll leave it out until then. Well, all the rumors I've heard about surging, rough idle, constant stalling, etc wasn't the case for my car. I cranked it up and all was fine:). I'm still running with no MAF screen (day 4 now), and none of that has happened. However, I did notice abit (just a tiny bit) deeper exhaust sound. I'll borrow my Uncle's scanner sometime and see what the MAF reads with it out, then pop it back in and see what it reads to see if it really does help the MAF or not. I know most of you guys are going to say I should put it back in. I don't know if it's because of my intake (Moroso LT1 CAI, intakehoses.com reducing 90* elbow, and a 3" coupler), or if my car's just an oddball. I'm keeping it out until I get a chance to get my nozzle installed, and who knows when that will be.

Just figured I'd throw this out there. Maybe the pre-98 cars should give it a try? If I get a chance to check the MAF reading, if there's no difference in the readings, or it's better with the screen, then it's probably going back in. Otherwise, it'll probably stay out.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: MAF Screen

took mine out a long time ago, and havent looked back sence

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Same thing here. I took mine out months ago, and have had no problems. Mine was all messed up too, so I'm sure it didn't help airflow too much.
      Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

my car, even with the straight tb, hated me after I removed the MAF screen

Comment

In theory and on paper there are good reasons to keep it, but on my LT1 i ran without it for nearly two years without any problems

also, kind of comparing apples to oranges, but in an LS1 its been proven that (with tuning), removing the screen gives you up to 5rwhp

Comment

I think the question that has always been at hand is: is it really worth taking it out?

Oh, and I looked at mine the other day, and I know people have destroyed them while getting them out with the screwdriver/sharp device... I think all you would need is a pair of snap-ring pliers... Might just be me seeing things though. I might take mine out of my '99 one day if someone can prove that it actually does something. I mean, why would GM put it there in the first place?

Comment

why would they put 2 useless engine lift brackets on the car, over the valve covers so that you cant get your covers off unless you take the brackets off.
              And the brackets are completly useless

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by gradez28
                also, kind of comparing apples to oranges, but in an LS1 its been proven that (with tuning), removing the screen gives you up to 5rwhp
                that's good, but a lot of places that dyno tune LS1's won't even touch them with the screen removed

Comment

Originally posted by Disruptore4
                  I think the question that has always been at hand is: is it really worth taking it out?

Oh, and I looked at mine the other day, and I know people have destroyed them while getting them out with the screwdriver/sharp device... I think all you would need is a pair of snap-ring pliers... Might just be me seeing things though. I might take mine out of my '99 one day if someone can prove that it actually does something. I mean, why would GM put it there in the first place?
                  Snap ring pliers are how I got mine out. My reason for not putting it back in is that I lost the c-clip. :D
                  Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Originally posted by Dawizman
                    Snap ring pliers are how I got mine out. My reason for not putting it back in is that I lost the c-clip. :D
                    Haha... those c-clips can have quite a bit of tension on them. The only time I've used them is when putting the BOV on my buddy's SR20 240. They're a bia to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Disruptore4
                      I think all you would need is a pair of snap-ring pliers... Might just be me seeing things though.

That's all it takes. I got some snap-ring pliers and pulled the clip out, then used them to pull the screen out too :P
                      My car's a 97 BTW
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Comment

Yeah I haven't had mine in on my 96 for about a month now and it runs fine and the exhaust tone is slightly deeper
                        1996 Silver Camaro RS, A4, K&N CAI, Flowtech exhaust, !MAF screen.

http://www.fquick.com/96silverbullet

Comment

Mine has been out since Ive owned it (Feb)! I would say the problems you stated are from a damageed IAT. I forgot and left mine out once and that was its symptoms. But I just put the IAT back in and all has been well ever since. I would have put it back in but I killed it with a screwdriver like most other ppl! Btw; Its a 2000 Bird...
                          sigpic
                          98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

See, with the 99 and newer cars, they don't have the angled TB. Supposedly the screen helps straighten the incoming air for the angled throttle bodies and with it removed the MAF doesn't get an accurate reading and the car ends up not running right.
                            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                            A few things

Comment

Well if I find mine from the 99 camaro Ill give it to you. And I believe I still have the ring from the bird. :tup:
                              sigpic
                              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X