neeed help with exhaust choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neeed help with exhaust choice

ok i have a 1995 firebird 3,4l im looking to make it rumble, i was gonna go with the flowmaster 80 series muffler but i heard they restrict air flow and make you lose power, now i heard magnaflow is the best to go with for performance/sound i was wondering if anyone on here has any input on this also if they have any clips of a magnaflow on a 3.4l i cant find any lol thanks

Re: neeed help with exhaust choice

i have a magnaflow 2.5" catback. the sound is good, and its stainless steal so it wont rust like flowmaster will. it sounds good, but it cant match a V8. im not completely satisfied with the sound, and am hoping it sounds much better after headers with no cat, and the cam goes in. so my magnaflow system sounds good, but it cant match a V8.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

X2 that i got magnaflow on my bird and love it, u check magnaflows website for a sound clip?

Comment

The major selling point for the Magnaflow for me was that it was stainless steel. Stainless won't rust out like the Flowmaster (aluminized steel) catback system (I think I've heard a couple of people on here say that the Flowmasters have rusted out for them.) I think having an exhaust that will be there until your car is worn out is worth an extra $130ish when buying a catback system.

I just got my Magnaflow catback installed a few weeks ago, and it really doesn't sound that bad. Face these facts though no matter what exhaust you put on:

~It will sound ricey past 3k RPM (In other words, you will not have a V8 sound.)
        ~You will lose low-end torque (but the powerband is shifted to higher RPMs, ultimately a few more horsepower)
        ~From my understanding, stick with 2.5" unless you're installing power adders (turbo, supercharger, etc.) then go with 3".
        ~Don't bring up "backpressure". Running 2.5" pipe gives the exhaust more velocity through the pipes. Hot air moves through the pipes quicker, and if you're running 3" pipe, there is less exhaust velocity, cooling the exhaust gases, slowing the exhaust velocity even more. When running a power adder (especially forced induction) you will naturally have more volume of exhaust and higher velocity through the pipes, so you need the 3" pipe to make room for the exhaust gases. (Don't know if you really care why or how, but... Now you do know.)

Anyone, if I'm wrong, correct me. But I've done a bit of reading/searching on this website (which is probably what this guy should have done, but that's alright :wavey: ) and this is what I've gathered.

Happy choosing, and if money isn't a factor, please get Borla! :banana:

Sorry for whoring... haha
        Last edited by Disruptore4; 09-09-2007, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Pacesetter headers, magnaflow carsound cat, dynomax catback pipe and a 3" summit turbo single outlet muffler. I haven't heard a better sounding stock cam V6 camaro than mine. :)
          \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Originally posted by Disruptore4
            The major selling point for the Magnaflow for me was that it was stainless steel. Stainless won't rust out like the Flowmaster (aluminized steel) catback system (I think I've heard a couple of people on here say that the Flowmasters have rusted out for them.) I think having an exhaust that will be there until your car is worn out is worth an extra $130ish when buying a catback system.

I just got my Magnaflow catback installed a few weeks ago, and it really doesn't sound that bad. Face these facts though no matter what exhaust you put on:

~It will sound ricey past 3k RPM (In other words, you will not have a V8 sound.)
            ~You will lose low-end torque (but the powerband is shifted to higher RPMs, ultimately a few more horsepower)
            ~From my understanding, stick with 2.5" unless you're installing power adders (turbo, supercharger, etc.) then go with 3".
            ~Don't bring up "backpressure". Running 2.5" pipe gives the exhaust more velocity through the pipes. Hot air moves through the pipes quicker, and if you're running 3" pipe, there is less exhaust velocity, cooling the exhaust gases, slowing the exhaust velocity even more. When running a power adder (especially forced induction) you will naturally have more volume of exhaust and higher velocity through the pipes, so you need the 3" pipe to make room for the exhaust gases. (Don't know if you really care why or how, but... Now you do know.)

Anyone, if I'm wrong, correct me. But I've done a bit of reading/searching on this website (which is probably what this guy should have done, but that's alright :wavey: ) and this is what I've gathered.

Happy choosing, and if money isn't a factor, please get Borla! :banana:

Sorry for whoring... haha

Nah, you hit the nail on the head!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X