Question about Catalytic converter applications - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Catalytic converter applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Catalytic converter applications

alright, so the noise that was comming from my car was the cat, its bad and i need a new one.... Im lookin at gettin a magnaflow highflow cat.. I have pacesetter headers and y-pipe which are 2.5in in. And i have flowmaster exhaust, and i believe they are 2.5 also. my question is, if for some reason they are 2.25in would i still be able to have to cat welded on there? i mean exhaust shops can fabricate anything they want to make sure the exhaust fits right, right? so im sure they would be able to install the cat regardless?

I maybe over concerned with this issue just a bit so i apologize! LOL (i guess im just lookin for some reassurance... thanks guys!

(oh one more thing, aparently when they installed my headers they welded the y-pipe directly to the cat.. do you think that will be a problem? The reason I ask is because some people i talk to say there should have been some adapter pipe inbetween.. thanks!

Re: Question about Catalytic converter applications

you will have no problem, if for some reason the sizes dont matach up they can just use a reducer or something.
    you should just get rid of the cat and have them lay new pipe instead :)

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

you mean like the none legal ones??? LOL my car is still registered in cali even though i live in SC now so i dont know how how tight of a line i gotta walk with emissions still! LOL

thanks for answering my question though! ;)

Comment

oh lol, in az they prtty much just look at your car and then just look at your dash, and if you dont have any codes you pass

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

pacesetter y pipe is 3" at the end where it goes to the cat. ( stock y is 3" too )

if you have headers and a y pipe and a stock cat, i'd just get a 3" cat and have them weld on a reducer to go to your cat-back. high flow cats are shorter than stock ones so your'll have room to play anyway.
          1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I don't mean to dredge up old topics but can you buy these reducers online? I'm replacing the entire exhaust. I have a Magnaflow high flow cat, Pacesetter headers (installed already) and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I'm ready to move forward with the project since it's warm weather again!

Well nevermind. I think I just answered my own question with a Google search:
            http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku

I may try AutoZone first, though. I'll see if I can find some clamps to hold it together until I can get to the exhaust shop to have it welded. I just want to get the car back on the road soon.
            Last edited by Abaddon; 03-26-2008, 12:39 AM.
            2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

I'd just straight up delete the cat, but that will be illegal in most places...not sure about Oklahoma City here, but I'm still researching.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
              Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

Can't. They do inspections in Nashville. I wouldn't be able to get my tags. That's why I went with the high flow cat. I wanted to be able to drive the car but I also figure my neighbors would appreciate a little less rumble when I come home at 2am. ;)

Comment

No problems welding up the cat for you. My suggestion would be to get a 3" in/out hi flow cat, and have them also fab up a 3" s-pipe for you, then drop that into the flowmasters piping. The stock s-pipe is a bottleneck with the setup your running (unless of course you changed it when you changed the catback).
                  2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Noob question I know but, what does the s-pipe do?

Comment

uh, flows exhaust? It's an S shaped pipe right behind the catalytic converter that ends at a clamp where "cat backs" are usually installed. Just take a peek under there, you'll understand. Oh and there's probably an 02 sensor in it right past the cat just for further reference. Depends on the year.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The Pacesetter headers came with a pipe that runs back to the area where the cat connects and the O2 sensor connects before the cat. It looks like the pipe outlet here is 3" so I'll order a reducer to be able to connect the new Pacesetter high-flow cat (which is 2.5" at the inlet). But the part that is throwing me is the outlet side needs a connector with the bracket on it to connect to the new cat-back exhaust. I have one welded onto the old pipe that came out of the car (stock). I don't really want to unweld it and use it if I can find a new one but I don't even know what that is called. Any ideas what that piece is called so I can look it up online? I've got the headers installed and the cat-back exhaust will drop right in. I just couldn't find a direct-fit high-flow cat or I would have purchased it.

Comment

Is the Magnaflow 94009 cat the one everyone is using? Like this one?

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...ID=1003&vlink=

I've decided not to use the 2.5" Pacesetter I bought and just go with the larger 3" since folks on here have had better luck with it. I want to get it ordered ASAP since I have the Magnaflow exhaust installed and the headers on. The car sounds badass just the way it is but I have to have the cat. :)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's the same cat that I have. Hasn't thrown a code on me, I'm happy with it.
                            2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by lookout4theyeti View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that's the same cat that I have. Hasn't thrown a code on me, I'm happy with it.
                              Sweet. Thanks for the info. It's listed on most sites as a cat for a truck but I figured that would be the case since it really wasn't made for this particular application. Having stepped on the gas with the headers installed and no cat I want to keep that feeling as much as possible! :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X